Boromir's Prudence

Marielle

Listening to Episode 137, as we carefully considered Boromir's response to Aragorn's (rather gentle) challenge, I had a thought that I never had before. Could it be that Boromir, though yes proud and imperfect, is actually being rather prudent here? Consider the situation from his point of view: he arrives at the house of this reputedly wise elf that almost no one in Gondor has ever heard of before, tells him he's got this tricky riddle, and is told to wait for the answer that the elf totally knows. Then, the next day, he gets hit with Reveal after Reveal, culminating with this elf declaring this scruffy-looking vagabond is actually his rightful king!

Not to turn Boromir into a GoT character, but I wouldn't blame him for being hesitant, if not outright suspicious. Elrond is deemed wise, yes, but so was Saruman, so even in Tolkien there can be an overlap between wise and crafty. Also, even if Boromir has ulterior motives to rejecting a claimant to the kingship, he also probably still has a highly romanticized idea of the future king -- if he is someone so mighty and awesome (in the old sense) that he could in theory displace even Denethor, whom we *know* is an impressive figure. Aragorn has to be a bit of a letdown. He could even justify it in terms of the Stewards' oaths -- surely that would include protecting the throne from pretenders and elvish tricks, wouldn't it?

In short, I can't blame Boromir for wanting time to evaluate Elrond, Aragorn, and their claims before committing himself.

Totally agree Marielle.

We have a great tendency to view Boromir through the lens of knowing what will happen to him later, which causes us to view him with 'prejudice'. Even as first time readers, we have a tendency to be prejudiced against Boromir, just because we already know Gandalf and Elrond and Aragorn, and trust them more.

However, I think, if read objectively, Boromir comes off wiser, smarter, more diplomatic and more articulate than all of them. He looks particularly impressive when compared to Aragorn.

Oh, Aragorn! Why do you ask Boromir your question, "Do you wish for the House of Elendil to return to the Land of Gondor?" so inappropriately early? Why then do you recite your c.v. at length in a manner so uncharacteristic of your usually taciturn and mysterious self? It seems boastful. And, for heavens sake, why, one page after asking Boromir if he wanted you to go to Gondor, without getting an answer, nor an invitation, do you just announce unilaterally, "I will come to Minas Tirith."? (OK, Boromir seemed to say that he wouldn't ask, but the sword of Elendil would be 'help beyond our hope', which is a sort of invitation. But, I still think this announcement is premature.)

Boromir is the classiest and most diplomatic person there.

One of the great tragedies in TOTR is set up by everyone being defensive and apprehensive and dismissive about Boromir, rather than welcoming and inclusionary.

Last edited:
why, one page after asking Boromir if he wanted you to go to Gondor, without getting an answer, nor an invitation, do you [Aragorn] just announce unilaterally, "I will come to Minas Tirith."? (OK, Boromir seemed to say that he wouldn't ask, but the sword of Elendil would be 'help beyond our hope', which is a sort of invitation. But, I still think this announcement is premature.)
I disagree, Flammifer. I always took Boromir at his word here. "help beyond our hope" is about the highest praise he could bestow. And his comment about "the hand that wields it" is a direct challenge*, which Aragorn does not hesitate to take up. The byplay between these two is not done with here, but their respective roles are already being laid out.

[*] retroactively, it is also eventually Hobbitry!

One of the great tragedies in TOTR is set up by everyone being defensive and apprehensive and dismissive about Boromir, rather than welcoming and inclusionary.

Personally, I think Boromir was doomed the moment he put himself forward in place of his brother. He simply was not prepared to endure the temptation, and no manner of welcome or inclusion was going to change that.

Back