Broken...

I think someone of Tolkien's age, raised when horses were omnipresent, would readily think of this....
Also, taking this another degree further, picking up on Verlyn Flieger's "Splintered Light", is Saruman also hinting that he wants to tame light itself!! Is he harking back to Fëanor? I sense Tolkien surely is.... given the multifarious light imagery throughout his Legendarium in general, and LotR in particular... Now, maybe the Palantiri were not yet on Tolkien's mind when he originally wrote this, but they were during later revisions... and the Palantiri, like the Arkenstone of the genus Magic Jewels.... which are means of refracting (breaking) light... whether original to them or borrowed

Last edited:
I too think "broken" is an important word choice. A scientist or engineer who takes something apart in order to understand it -- and then put it back together -- is different from someone who breaks and does not repair. His treatment of the trees is similar... Saruman not only cuts down trees for fuel, he allows wanton destruction because he can. The resemblance to Fëanor is there in his pride and possessiveness, but even Fëanor would not treat with Morgoth. (I also like the 'horse-breaking' metaphor.)

My reference to Fëanor was in regard to Saruman's view of him, not to Fëanor himself and thus not what he actually did or did not do.

Ah, so you were saying that perhaps Saruman thought Fëanor was trying to "tame" the light of the Trees... make it obey his directive. Interesting.

I am saying that Saruman is trying to imitate Fëanor.... I don't think there is too much doubt that Fëanor contained the light of the Trees... and later when asked to break (there's that word again) his jewels to release -- restore? -- the Trees he refused -- and so in that sense he controlled it. And there is no doubt that Saruman (like Sauron) is obsessed with control.

Back