Círdan, Narya and the Wizards' Colors

Gordy N. Knott

I've got a few questions I'd like feedback on. I'm posting them separately. First . . .

I wonder if Círdan naturally understood what the wizards’ colors meant. Or perhaps one of the Astari explained it to him when they arrived? Just because most folks in Middle-earth don’t seem to understand who they are does not mean that some don’t know. This is all to say that I wonder how Círdan decided to give Narya to Gandalf. Did he know Gandalf’s remit was to travel the land, preparing and inspiring the peoples of Middle-earth for the coming fight? In this case, Gandalf was the natural recipient. Or does Círdan have no idea what role Gandalf is expected to play, accidentally changing Gandalf’s plans by giving him the ring? Has Narya changed Gandalf’s strengths or nature and thus changed how he goes about his duties or changes his duties entirely? Has Gandalf in fact gone beyond his remit as the grey, which Saruman could be implying in their conversation? Could this be in part why Saruman scoffs at the mention of Gandalf’s title and says about his business, “whether it belongs to him or not”? If Círdan did not understand Gandalf’s remit, what went into his decision to give up the ring and to give it to Gandalf specifically?

It was said that Cirdan was one of the most far-seeing Elves in Middle-earth. ( I can't remember where it says that, in the Appendices or the History of Middle Earth.) Point being, I have assumed that he had a foretelling that Gandalf would have greater need of the Ring than the other Istari.

Saruman, if he was aware of the exchange, probably disagreed. :D

Hi Gordy,

Your question as to how possession of Narya affected Gandalf, is a good one. I don't think there is any instance in TLOTR where any influence of Narya upon Gandalf, or Gandalf upon Narya, can be clearly seen. Perhaps Gandalf's defiance of the Balrog on the bridge references Narya, when Gandalf says, "I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the Flame of Anor, You cannot pass,"? But it is not at all clear. Why would Narya be called 'the Flame of Anor'? Anor is 'Sun'. Narya has no particular connection to the Sun. Gandalf as a Maia, however, might be considered a 'Lord of Light', and a Flame of the Sun?

Anyway, I think it is a mystery what effect (if any) Narya had on Gandalf. Our best clue is what Cirdan said to Gandalf when he gave him the ring. "It will support you in the weariness that you have taken upon yourself. For this is the Ring of Fire, and with it you may rekindle hearts in a world that grows chill." Elrond says of the Elvish rings that they were made for, "understanding, making, and healing, to preserve all things unstained." Perhaps Narya helped Gandalf preserve himself unstained in Arda marred?

Last edited:
Hi Gordy,

Your question as to how possession of Narya affected Gandalf, is a good one. I don't think there is any instance in TLOTR where any influence of Narya upon Gandalf, or Gandalf upon Narya, can be clearly seen. Perhaps Gandalf's defiance of the Balrog on the bridge references Narya, when Gandalf says, "I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the Flame of Anor, You cannot pass,"? But it is not at all clear. Why would Narya be called 'the Flame of Anor'? Anor is 'Sun'. Narya has no particular connection to the Sun. Gandalf as a Maia, however, might be considered a 'Lord of Light', and a Flame of the Sun?

Anyway, I think it is a mystery what effect (if any) Narya had on Gandalf. Our best clue is what Cirdan said to Gandalf when he gave him the ring. "It will support you in the weariness that you have taken upon yourself. For this is the Ring of Fire, and with it you may rekindle hearts in a world that grows chill." Elrond says of the Elvish rings that they were made for, "understanding, making, and healing, to preserve all things unstained." Perhaps Narya helped Gandalf preserve himself unstained in Arda marred?
I really like that idea, Flammifer. And thanks to you and Makar for pointing out that Cirdan's words to Gandalf hold a clue. Gandalf has taken a weariness upon himself, perhaps unlike (or at least beyond) what the other Astari have planned. This may hint that from the outset Gandalf does plan to roam Middle-earth and have no home, even before he puts Narya on his finger.

Back