Call for Singers - The Light of the West

Phillip Menzies

Staff member
It is time for another big musical collaboration for the Light of the West that Rhiannon wrote the words of and Tony has composed a melody for. Rhiannon and Tony have done fantastic jobs and have given me something great to work with. I am giving it the big orchestral treatment and we are going to need some singers. The good news is it is in English, not Quenya which some people may have had some difficulty with for the Oath of Feanor back in lare 2019.
I am looking for interest at this time. Tracks for people to follow and instructions will be posted in the near future. Have a listen to Tony's demo in the other thread to get the feel for the song and post here if you want to be a part of something great.

I would like to if I have time but I can't promise I'll have time because a lot is going on in my life right now.

Thanks Emily, I'll include you in the communications. There will be different levels of involvement, just singing the choruses in unison (of which there are two) which should be easy as, and contributing harmonies to underlie the verses and choruses.

Traditional folk musician here, at your service. I sing and play Irish bouzouki and stuff.

Great to have you join us NBL. Can I get an email address from you? We are communicating via email and using Dropbox for file sharing.
Phillip

Hi Phillip,
Do you have any requirements on diction? For example (for those of us from North America), do we drop the r when singing?
Also, should we pronounce everything as clearly as possible (like when you are in choir) or should we make it natural and folky?

Great question.
Keep it natural and folky will be best. It needs to sound like a group of people having a singalong. They are walking and singing. It won't matter if everyone is not in time. Having said that do your best to keep in time. With the diction and accents, I noted in the harmonies section to not emphasise the re at the end of fare and fair. It is like saying the first part of farewell and just cutting it off. I think Tony in his demo demonstrates it well, and me being Australian my accent is closer to an english accent than people from the US. I hope that makes sense.

Definitely interested in lending a voice to the choral production! I’m not sure how the technical aspect of the recording will work (I have no fancy mic) but I’ll do some reading of the posts you’ve made.

Great to have another person on board. You should be able to do it with your phone. I'll send you an IM to get email details and I'll send you info straightaway.

Time is running out to be included in this collaboration. We have a deadline of the end of next weekend Sunday 14th of March for the chorus and the following Sunday the 21st of March for harmonies. It is going to be great when it is all together.

Back