Calls for Papers

[ONGOING]: The Year's Work in Medievalism is a peer-reviewed open access journal providing codisciplinary communication for scholars interested in the reception of medieval culture in post-medieval times. The journal is published under the auspices of the International Society for the Study of Medievalism. Contributions, usually between 3,000 and 4,000 words in length, will be accepted on a year-round basis. (Essay lengths are the same size as the average Signum semester research paper... maybe one of yours would fit here.)

https://sites.google.com/…/theyearsworkinmedievalism/contact

Last edited:
[ONGOING]: The Bulletin of the International Association for Robin Hood Studies is an open-access, double-blind peer-reviewed journal focused on all aspects of the Robin Hood tradition. The editors particularly welcome essays in the following areas: formal literary explication, manuscript and early printed book investigations, historical inquiries, new media examinations, and theory or cultural studies approaches.

http://bulletin.iarhs.org/index.php/IARHSBulletin

Last edited:
[ONGOING]: The Lamp-Post of the Southern California C.S. Lewis Society
The Southern California C.S. Lewis Society brings together scholars, students, and others who share a passionate interest in C.S. Lewis and his writings. In the past, the society’s journal has maintained a strong scholarly tone while appealing to the interests of those outside the academy who are interested and inspired by the ction and nonfiction of C.S. Lewis. After a brief hiatus, the society’s esteemed journal The Lamp-Post is returning to publication. We are specifically seeking essays on C.S. Lewis, but essays on Lewis’s circle, e.g.. the Inklings and other influences will also be considered.

See full CFP here: https://www.academia.edu/15690057/C...of_The_Southern_California_C.S._Lewis_Society

Last edited by a moderator:
[ONGOING]: Speaking of The Heroic Age, they also seek relevant submissions: http://www.heroicage.org/callforpapers.php

The Heroic Age is a fully peer-reviewed academic journal focusing on Northwestern Europe during the early medieval period (from the early 4th through 13th centuries). We seek to foster dialogue between all scholars of this period across ethnic and disciplinary boundaries, including—but not limited to—history, archaeology, and literature pertaining to the period.

The Heroic Age publishes issues within the broad context of Early Medieval Northwestern Europe. Each issue has a "general" section and a "themed" section. Please consult the Call for Papers for information about upcoming themed sections. For any questions about the suitability of topics, please contact Larry Swain, Editor-in-Chief <haediting[at]yahoo.com>

Last edited:
[ONGOING]: Mythprint: Quarterly Bulletin of the Mythopoeic Society with Book Reviews, Short Articles, Event Information, and More!

Reviews of mythopoeic media, discussion group reports, news items, letters, art work, notes or short articles, and other submissions for Mythprint are always welcome.

"We are always looking for reviews, but we also publish letters to the editor or society, short articles and notes on Inklings topics, art, meeting discussion reports, and more!"

Email: [email protected]

Last edited:
[ONGOING]: Mallorn: The Journal of the Tolkien Society is looking for submissions of articles and notes about the works and life of J.R.R. Tolkien.

The journal, published regularly since 1970, has a readership numbering in the thousands and routinely publishes artwork from Tolkien artists, articles from Tolkien scholars, and reviews of the latest scholarly books.
The journal seeks to publish a wide range of topics and perspectives from scholars. Submissions could cover (but are not limited to):

• Applications of critical theory to Tolkien’s work or adaptations of it
• New or under-reported biographical information about Tolkien
• Interdisciplinary studies of Tolkien’s work or adaptations of it
• Studies of source material or influences on the writer

Mallorn accepts submissions at any time.
Guidelines for submissions can be found on our website: www.tolkiensociety.org/society/publications/mallorn/
Additional questions can be sent to the editor.

Last edited:
[ONGOING]: A new monograph series is looking for proposals, Perspectives on Fantasy, published by the University of Glasgow.

Attachments

• Persepctives on Fantasy.jpg
    Persepctives on Fantasy.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
[ONGOING]: Fantastika Journal welcomes essay submissions throughout the year regardless of theme or topic as long as the content is relevant to Fantastika in some manner or form. Articles will undergo a two-step review process - all submissions will first be reviewed by the editorial board and if deemed appropriate to the journal will then proceed to double blind-peer review. Accepted submissions will be published in our next upcoming general issue.

Please refer to our guidelines to ensure that your article adheres to our house style and formatting guidelines before submission. We also accept general fiction and non-fiction reviews as well as conference reports. https://fantastikajournal.com/cfp/

The journal also seeks academic book reviewers. Email your research specialty/credentials to [email protected] if interested

Articles can be submitted by emailing [email protected]

[ONGOING] Mapping the Impossible
A new open-access peer-reviewed student journal on fantasy and the fantastic and published by the Centre for Fantasy and the Fantastic at the University of Glasgow is now accepting submissions!

Our first issue, to be published in October 2021, will be a special issue following the theme of year’s Glasgow International Fantasy Conversations event – Beyond the Anglocentric Fantastic. All presenters from the conference, and anyone with a paper that matches the theme are invited to submit their papers up until May 31st.

Our second issue, to be published in March 2022, will be a general issue.

Mapping the Impossible operates with a rolling submissions window, meaning that we are always open to submissions for our general issues. If you would like to submit a paper, please first consult About This Journal, Information for Authors, our policies on Plagiarism and Copyright, and our Style Guide. Then, follow the instructions below.

Submitting a Paper
Mapping the Impossible exclusively accepts academic papers between 3000 and 5000 words in length, including references but excluding bibliographies. Along with your paper, we ask you to submit a 300-500 word long abstract, and a 100 word long biography. Please attach these to an email as seperate Word documents, each clearly labelled with your name. For instance: TerryPratchettSubmission.docx, TerryPratchettAbstract.docx, TerryPratchettBiography.docx

Please note that we ask for your paper to conform to the Mapping the Impossible Style Guide when you submit it. Your paper should also be anonymised as far as possible when you submit it (except for the file name!), as per our double blind review policy.

When you’re ready to submit, send your email to [email protected] with the subject line “Submission – [your name][date of submission]” You will receive a confirmation email within seven days, to say that we have received your submission.

The board meets at least once a month to discuss submissions, and you should expect to hear back from us within five weeks.

Authors must be current students (undergraduate or graduate) or within one year of graduation when they submit their abstract.

https://fantasy-research.gla.ac.uk/index.php/submissions/

[ONGOING] An Unexpected Journal, a pop-academic periodical with print and online circulation averaging over 3,000 readers
per issue, seeks to demonstrate the truth of Christianity through both reason and the imagination to engage the
culture from a Christian worldview. AUJ is currently open to submissions of original articles and book reviews for all
2022 issues (early submissions strongly encouraged!).

See attached file for issue topics and deadlines.

Attachments

• AUJ CFS 2022.pdf
    187 KB · Views: 1
[ONGOING] UKL: The Journal of Ursula K. Le Guin Studies is a peer-reviewed, annual publication focused on the work of Ursula K. Le Guin and scholarship on that work. The primary goal of the journal is to provide a space where a diverse range of Le Guin-related scholarship can be encouraged and sustained.

The journal aims to publish its first issue in 2023. See the Aims and Scope for a complete coverage of the journal.
Submissions for Volume I are being accepted through January 15th, 2023.
For more information:
2023 Call for Submissions
https://scholarworks.uni.edu/ukl/

Total newbie question, but is there a calendar or listing of the major Tolkien journals/conferences posted somewhere? I know a few names (Mythlore, JoTR, etc) but I'd like to get a clearer view of all the main forums for Tolkien/Middle-earth scholarship. Any advice or info would be helpful, thanks!

And thanks so much for posting these calls for papers; very helpful!

Total newbie question, but is there a calendar or listing of the major Tolkien journals/conferences posted somewhere? I know a few names (Mythlore, JoTR, etc) but I'd like to get a clearer view of all the main forums for Tolkien/Middle-earth scholarship. Any advice or info would be helpful, thanks!

And thanks so much for posting these calls for papers; very helpful!

Sorry for the delay in answering, Anorion (I'm on extended leave and only checking in occasionally).
I'm not aware of a calendar for major Tolkien events, but it is a GREAT idea! Most of the biggies are held in the summer, I suppose for ease of travel and general delight, although Mythgard/Signum has Moots year-round.

I would love it if someone put on together.

I'm not aware of a calendar for major Tolkien events, but ... I would love it if someone put on together.

This is my first attempt, focused on recurring events for now and laying aside journals, monographs, one-time events. Thoughts? I understand that it can be difficult to draw clear boundaries around something like this given the different interests involved but I'm hoping I haven't left out any of the biggies. Content follows in comment. Single-page file attached with additional event/conference details, but format requires work.

Major recurring events of interest to the Signum/Mythgard community of scholars and devotees - a visual representation of regularly recurring Tolkien-relevant events for general academic awareness and personal/professional planning purposes; assembled from various e-sources
  • Jan: none showing for Nov to Jan
  • Feb: MAA Annual Meeting at Washington DC (this year) 23-26 Feb 23
  • Mar: none
  • Apr: Tolkien in Vermont 2023 at Burlington 1 Apr 23 -and- PCA/ACA National Conference at San Antonio (this year) 5-8 Apr 23
  • May: CFF GIFCon at Glasgow scheduled 10-12 May 23 -and- ICMS 58th Congress at Kalamazoo 11-13 May 23
  • Jun: Signum University MythMoot at Leesburg 22-25 Jun 23 (projected)
  • Jul: IMC-2023 at Leeds 3-6 Jul 23 -and- MythSoc 53rd MythCon at (city TBD) 29-31 Jul 23 (projected)
  • Aug: none
  • Sep: Tolkien Society 50th OxonMoot at Oxford 1-4 Sep 23
  • Oct: DTG 19th Tolkien Seminar outside Leipzig 27-29 Oct 23 (projected)
Note: running lists of CFPs are maintained by Becky Dillon (International Tolkien Fellowship on Facebook), Robin Reid (tolkien-on-the-web.dreamwidth.org), Tom Bolton (Green Book of the White Downs on Blogspot), Anna Smol (annasmol.net), Kris Swank (forums.signumuniversity.org/), and Eric Mueller-Harder (tolkienists.org)

Note: other conferences exist but are either not yet well established, fluctuate through the year, or are held in languages other than English, and therefore not generally accessible to English-speaking would-be scholars.

Attachments

• TolkienEventCalendar.pdf
    93.9 KB · Views: 2
Arnorion, I think that's a pretty good list!

I can only think to add at 2 at this time:

1.) each year (in May) right before ICMS at Kalamazoo, the "Tolkien at Kalamazoo" group holds a 1-day Tolkien Symposium also in Kalamazoo, Michigan. For more info: https://www.facebook.com/groups/119241118286629/ or Anna Smol https://annasmol.net/tag/kalamazoo/ .

2.) each year (in July) right before the IMC at Leeds, the U.K.-based Tolkien Society holds a 1-day Tolkien Society Seminar also in Leeds, UK. For more info: https://www.tolkiensociety.org/society/events/seminar/ .

Back