Celebrimbor

Ange1e4e5

Any ideas for Celebrimbor, the son of Curufin and maker of the Rings of Power?

My personal thoughts had Asa Butterfield in mind for the role, particularly his roles as the young inventor Hugo Cabret in Hugo and Jacob Portman in Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children.
Height: 6'0"

peculiarchildren.png

1569609_1466184671906_full.jpg

We want someone who is the son of the one of the sons of Fëanor who looks most like him. Now, we haven't decided on who the actor is that should play Curufin, but let's assume that he should look a bit like Armitage. Or maybe that makes things too complicated. Well, at least, I think the actors nominated should look like smiths, have some muscular build.

I do think though that we should discuss whether it's casting time this season for Celebrimbor. We really don't know what he's like, and I'd rather not see us in a situation later on with an actor who is wrong for the processes we want to show then because we didn't forsee them now. I know we're talking about this generation and Glorfindel and everybody but we should perhaps be a bit cautious unless we really work them into the storyline.

I know, but I think, as always, that we have to keep in mind that these things aren't decided until we know what the story is. And some of the roles will turn out to be so small that the list is going to change. We've been through this before.

But ok, I'm with you. Let's find some actors for Celebrimbor. But even if they should be young, I think we need to find people looking more like smiths.

What about Tom Holland? He has done some physical acting as Spiderman. He could grow into it in the seasons to come. We talked about him when we discussed casting young Fëanor, I definitely thought he could pull that off. I think he'd be a great Celebrimbor. (He's 21 now, I think that's fine)
upload_2017-9-12_14-30-52.jpeg
images
upload_2017-9-12_14-34-4.jpeg

Could also throw Bill Milner in the mix. He was another actor considered for Young Feanor. As for prior roles, he was young Erik Lehnsherr in X-Men First Class and Tom Harvey/iBoy in iBoy.
MV5BMTU0MzgwMDQ0N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwODUxMDQyNzE@._V1_UY317_CR20,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

netflix-iboy-original-movie-005.jpg

Hmm... personally, given that Celebrimbor is supposed to be one of the mythically-good smiths, I'd prefer him to be a bit more burly than the options given above. At least, not lean and slightly scrawny looking.

What about Alex Pettyfer?
images

I've never seen anything he's been in, but he looks like he could be a Feanorean.

I haven't seen him act either. I think he would be great as an elf - I can see him as Celebrimbor, even if he wouldn't be my first choice. I don't know what holds me back... I try to tell myself it's not the blond hair. But maybe it's just that.

I haven't seen him act either. I think he would be great as an elf - I can see him as Celebrimbor, even if he wouldn't be my first choice. I don't know what holds me back... I try to tell myself it's not the blond hair. But maybe it's just that.
The stuff I know him from is Stormbreaker (2006) and Beastly (2011).

He does have the look a lot of CW "pretty-boy villains" have, *laughs*. I'm not tied to his cause at all, but I don't want Celebrimbor to look scrawny or, frankly, geeky. A lot of the above actors are great, but they've made their careers playing awkward or isolated characters. Celebrimbor is an exile, yes, but he's going to grow up in luxury with a large family. And, in our show, he's shown promise already and was a favorite, at least as a child, of his grandfather. He's not the brilliant underdog like Spiderman. Actually, he's more like Iron Man. And that's not a comparison I'd ever thought I'd make...

My list can be revised, as needed. There are certain characters we *need* to cast this season. Others...no harm if we wait.

Celebrimbor appears as a teen in Season 2, and is obviously part of the Fëanorean camp through all of the actions of Seasons 3-4. But we are unlikely to make him *do* anything in that time, apart from some cameo roles where the elves are dealing with the dwarves and he's admiring their craftsmanship or something.

His only canonical action of significance in the First Age is to repudiate his father after the death of Finrod, and to remain in Nargothrond (Season 5). No doubt we will be giving him a bit more of a story, and it's acceptable to wait until we've actually talked about using him on screen before we make a casting decision. Some of the roles will definitely be retroactive casting, as we'll have characters on screen long before we give them lines or cast them.

No harm in making suggestions now, and deciding later if we want to include Celebrimbor in the nominations/voting for this season.

Last edited:
I'm completely comfortable putting Celebrimbor in the "unknown" category; but in the meantime, it's fun to toss names around!

Though... if we cast a 20-something now, we'll have a sufficiently mature actor when we get to the 2nd age materials...

Yeah I agree that we could wait with casting someone now. I'd just like to throw in another name...
Quinn Lord. I think he has the look of a son of Curufin. He's not even twenty years old, so he could last through the ages... He hasn't got the look of a smith just yet but maybe later? It's a gamble.

upload_2017-12-11_15-55-38.jpegupload_2017-12-11_15-56-44.jpeg

Or we could go for Harry Styles...23 years old. upload_2017-12-11_16-7-17.jpeg
But it would have all sorts of consequences, I guess....

Not sure how Bloom got into the discussion. But in answer to your question, I guess that Armitage is within the range that people think is reasonably believable as a smith. Perhaps it has more to do with a certain kind of energy than with build or big biceps. Anyway, I think Alex Hogh Andersen is a pretty good candidate here.

Back