Comedy...Do we have it and if so, how?

I agree that humor from insults is something Fëanorians excel at. And certainly, in deciding that Caranthir will have the least opportunities for character growth or an arc over his time on the show, we have set him up to be laughable in his pride at times. I do still maintain that he ought not to be a comic relief character whom the audience is always laughing at. Because his death scene should still be tragic, not funny, when we get to that point. And seeing how Uldor is able to trick and manipulate him should be a natural progression of the 'flattery will get you everywhere' approach the dwarves have been using to manage him. In other words, his character flaws aren't funny when they are causing the defeat at the Nirnaeth Arnoediad.

Having so many largerthanlife characters at once definitely is a dangerous thing.You have Dorian grey, Lestat the vampire, Jason Bourne, Cousin Alfie, Patrick Bateman, ... all in one family.

If you go for it there's lot of opportunity for some comic relief, but it's not Blackadder.

One could be funny by being serious. Just watch Tyrion and Tywin at the former's wedding (start at 1:47).

No, we certainly don't want to trivialize any of the Feanorians or reduce them to buffons. They should be the source of some comic relief, but they are not laughing stocks themselves...for the most part.
Although in the Beren and Luthien poem, it's hard not to find Celegorm and Curufin laughable. I don't think it would be a problem to portray them as laughing stocks for that bit alone, because how many times do you get an elf nearly strangled for attempted abduction, eyes popping from his sockets and tongue hanging from his mouth?

Probably not strangulation; it's mostly serious (like Michael Myers lifting Bob by his throat in Halloween before turning him into a wall decoration) and rarely played for laughs (Alameda Slim lifting Gil by his neck in Home on the Range). A neck lift typically shows how inhumanely strong someone is.

I find this hilarious:

I think guys like Udo Kier, Helmut Berger, that Scientology guy... they come about very feanorian.

Or mark ryder as cesare borgia. Yes too much pathos, if you overdo it it becomes... funny

Last edited:
No, EVERyTHING is wrong with THAT kind of scene.That's postmodern edginess missing the point...

Last edited:
I have to agree with Haerangil. Mocking or making light of someone's tragic back story or focused intent for revenge has no place in the story we are telling.

Humor is very difficult to do well. The slightest overstep into 'too much' makes it all fall flat. So, even the 'right type' of humor can be very wrong for a scene if it's inserted at the wrong time or played a bit too hammy. But there are some styles that don't fit the type of story we are telling, and breaking the tension of a dramatic moment with 'yeahhh, so anyway' is not a good fit for what we are trying to do.

Back