Confusion on what exactly SilmFilm is meant to be

Maelum

The reason I am currently confused is because when I clicked on the episode for the Ainulindale, I was expecting something either like an audio drama, with different people voicing characters like Melkor, or an episode for a fan "Tv Show", but when I clicked, it was just professors talking about it and its importance to Tolkien's work. so, What exactly is the SilmFilm Project meant to be?

As the professor explains in earlier sessions, the work that is being done is theoretical. No actual TV show is being produced. The podcast sessions are designed to discuss what the adaptation might or should look like.

There have been scripts written, soundtrack themes created and even some concept art. But any final product would risk some serious copyright infringement.

Last edited:
ah! I understand now :) thank you both. I had found Silmfilm because people on the Silmarillion subreddit called it a fan film, not a discussion on what a fan film could be, which was what caused my confusion.

Last edited:
I would push back on this, as the main stated goal is to use the process of adaptation to engage with the material at a deeper level.
Yes I would say that there is a distinct fanfic element in the project, but that the essential part of it all is the process of delving into the source material. The idea of creating a television series adaptation forces us to discuss small and great aspects of Tolkien's work.

Yes. There is a fan-fic element, but I think for us the actual fan-fic (ie. the scripts, music, casting, artwork) are part of the process, but not the ultimate point. The ultimate point is the podcast and the surrounding discussions. It's about the fan-fic journey, not the fan-fic destination.

Or at least that's how I feel about it.

And I would push back against your push-back, Nick, as plenty of fanfic engages the source material at a very deep level. As a 'for instance', it has not escaped my notice that Silmarillion fanfic writers tend to do very well at Tolkien trivia at Signum events....

Not everyone involved in this project has tried their hand at writing fanfiction outside of it, and not everyone is interested in contributing as a writer or artist (ie, generating fanfic or fanart), but the podcast itself is certainly more focused on the process of adaptation, and how you would tell this particular story in this particular medium. So, yes, as Mike says, it's about the journey....

Or in other words, it's very meta fanfic - more talking about creating fanfic than actually creating fanfic ;)

And I would push back against your push-back, Nick, as plenty of fanfic engages the source material at a very deep level. As a 'for instance', it has not escaped my notice that Silmarillion fanfic writers tend to do very well at Tolkien trivia at Signum events....

Not everyone involved in this project has tried their hand at writing fanfiction outside of it, and not everyone is interested in contributing as a writer or artist (ie, generating fanfic or fanart), but the podcast itself is certainly more focused on the process of adaptation, and how you would tell this particular story in this particular medium. So, yes, as Mike says, it's about the journey....

Or in other words, it's very meta fanfic - more talking about creating fanfic than actually creating fanfic ;)
And this discussion thread is even more meta - talking about talking about creating fanfic! :)

Back