Considerations for Class 238

ArnoleIstari

I can't seem to pull much out of the next section, but that may be because I'm so tired!

Danger Will Robinson!- Obviously the birds are a danger. Strider seems to notice that immediately and we can see that all of his strange behavior earlier on is completely warranted. The continuing silence, the birds flying so close they seem almost like one creature, all indicates that this is something to be feared. Though the party has traveled for several days fighting the weather there hasn't been any real danger, not since the Ford.

Where did you come from, Where did you go?- We may not get to the following paragraph, but we're told the birds leave north and west before Aragorn wakes Gandalf, and Aragorn says that since they are 'crebain out of Fangorn and Dunland' that 'all the land between the Mountains and the Greyflood' must be under watch. This means that the crows would be patrolling the whole of the Enedwaith, including Hollin, up to Rivendell. This must be a heavy blow to both Aragorn and Gandalf, who most likely chose this route for its uninhabited nature, instead of the other side of the mountains going down the Vales of the Anduin. The very thing they were hoping to avoid is just as bad here as it may have been there.

Big brother is(maybe) watching- Aragorn's note about noticing the hawks means that he is afraid, and has been wary for a while, about spies marking their travels. More importantly, I think this highlights a side of Aragorn we haven't seen since Weathertop. He makes guesses and has hunches, but doesn't like to voice them until he is certain. Aragorn is cautious about letting others know his opinion, perhaps because he knows about what an unfounded speculation could bring.

Back