Corey, What map are you using?

Flammifer

The map you were talking about in session 231 is similar to, but not the same as, the map that was pasted into the end covers of the original three volumes of TLOTR.

In the map that came with the published books, there is no alternative name given for the River Entwash. There is no extraneous 'u' in Evendim. There is no extra 'r' in Dimrill Dale.

All the text labels are in red. The label 'Forodwaith' is much further west, and seems to be a section of a larger area labelled 'Northern Waste' (that label is missing from your map). Your map has something labelled (I can't read it as it is too small) near the mouth of the River Greyflood, that is not on the published map. Your map has 'Eastfold' labelled in Rohan, the published map does not. Many of the labels on your map are differently sized, differently shaped, or differently positioned (slightly) from the published map. ('Eriador', 'Arnor', 'Gondor', 'Rhovanion', 'Rohan', 'Cardolan' ('Cardolan' is entirely absent from the published map), etc. are examples.). Whatever the River Running is labelled on your map, it is only labelled River Running on the published map. The river coming south from the Iron Hills has a label on your map, but none on the published map.

I wonder about the source of your map?

I would suggest using the published map that came with the early editions of TLOTR instead. That is probably much closer to the map that JRRT was using when writing TLOTR.

The map that you are using seems to be riddled with errors and inconsistencies.

Last edited:
Back