Counsels stronger than Morgul spells - the revelation of the King

Bruce N H

Hey all,

Just listened to last week's Exploring (session 193) with the hobbits and Gandalf looking back at and summarizing the Council. We briefly discussed the "counsels stronger than Morgul spells" and noted two things - the decision to send the Ring to the Fire, and Frodo volunteering. To that I would add a third - the official revelation of Aragorn's claim to the throne. I would argue that is on par, or at least nearly so, as the discussion of the Ring - after all, the full title of the book is The Downfall of the Lord of the Rings and the Return of the King, implying that the whole thing is incomplete if you leave out Aragorn.

I was thinking about it, and I think Aragorn's kingship is officially revealed six times: Here at the Council. In Rohan - doesn't he declare himself to Eomer? To Sauron via the Palantir. And three times at Minas Tirith - first the unveiling of his banner during the battle, then at the Houses of Healing (both with Faramir's recognition of him and the whole "hands of a king" prophecy), and finally at the coronation.

Back