Despite JRRT's extensive explanation, Manwë is still a putz

NancyL

I listened and agree with everything Professor Corey/JRRT said about freeing and forgiving Melkor. But that entire discussion failed to address the oliphaunt in the room: all the other people Manwë is supposed to be king of. If he has a responsibility to be lawful/fair/forgiving to Melkor, doesn't he also have a responsibility to be lawful/fair/protective of the Elves/Ainu in Valinor? He releases a Bengal Tiger into the community (said tiger having sworn that he is vegan) without any introduction and/or support for his other subjects.

How about, instead, he holds a nice "coming out" party for the newly released Ainu, with a (mandatory party) speech for the assembled Valinorians ...

King Manwë: Good Evening Everyone, hope everyone enjoyed the food, drinks and entertainment. Huge callout to the Vanyar poetry slam!! Let me introduce you to the Guest of Honor for tonight's party: Melkor (stand up Melkor ... wave so they see you). I know my fellow Ainu remember his destruction of our home in Middle Earth, and some of you Elves may remember that whole Dark Rider business ... well those horrible things were caused by our Guest Melkor here. (Now, don't Boo!) Anyway, my dear brother Melkor has reformed! Yes he has. He just finished up three ages in time-out and he has repented his deeds! Yes he has. And we're all going to forgive him. Yes we will. From now on, you'll get to know the Melkor we grew up with ... he's smart, creative, and he has a way with language that even the Vanyar can learn from. Now I know y'all are going to just love hanging out with him. So, how will you know where he is you may ask? Well, i'll tell you ... just look for a cloud of my air-spirits floating above his head. That's right, they'll be there all the time. Can't miss 'em. And I myself will be taking time from my busy schedule of listening to Vanyar poetry to spend LOTS of time with him too! Come to think of it, poor guy will always be surrounded with well wishers of all types. So come up and meet him yourselves. <cue fireworks>

After the party, I would also suggest Manwë have a little heart-to-heart with Eru to get a feel for what kind of evidence He's going to want before He moves Morgoth to permanent time out, just so he can get a list prepared.

Back