Directors

Ange1e4e5

I was wondering about who would be good directors for various parts of The Silmarillion, or the book as a whole. My suggestions are Steven Spielberg (various, but I had Schindler's List and Saving Private Ryan in mind), Michael Mann (Last of the Mohicans), Alejandro G. Inarritu (The Revenant) and James Mangold (3:10 to Yuma).

What do you guys think?

Considering the Silm "Film" is actually a Silm "Television show", theoretically most of the directors would be television directors. However many, many, many television show pilots are directed by film directors. J.J. Abrams, Bryan Singer, David Fincher, and even Martin Scorsese have all directed at least one pilot. Many more have directed individual episodes within a series (Quentin Tarantino, Guillermo Del Toro, Kathryn Bigelow, Jon Favreau, and countless others.)

I agree with Alex.
Another thought is that I think that Spielberg would be a great producer. We need a good producer or team of producers.

Spielberg would be a great producer, agreed. I had in mind a six or seven film treatment, all with different directors, under these topics:

Beginnings of Arda: Mike Newell

Feanor, the Flight of the Noldor, and their establishment in Beleriand: Ridley Scott

Dagor Bragollach and the Tale of Beren and Luthien: Michael Mann

Nirnaeth Arnoediad and the Children of Hurin: Alejandro Inarritu

The Fall of Gondolin: James Mangold

The Voyage of Earendil: Alfonso Cuaron

Bonus: Akallabeth: Sam Mendes

That's a really interesting take. What we're in the process of doing is setting it up as a long-running TV series of 13-episode seasons. This will give us plenty of time to flesh out all of the characters and storylines.

Would also throw Kenneth Branagh into the suggestion pool, the palace scenes made me think of Cinderella (2015) and Lily James would make a decent Idril in my opinion.

Back