Disagreements on WoT, Episode 11

ArnoleIstari

So I had some thought listening to Other Minds and Hands Episode 11. I definitely now am thinking kinder about the change for giving Perrin a wife. I thought her entrance and quick departure left something to be desired, but the effect on Perrin's character does make sense, even though I dislike the trope of using a female character solely to move the male character's plot forward.

However I have a disagreement with Dr. Olsen's comments about the change the tv show made to consider resurrections as cross gendered.

In the Wheel of Time, the change to consider Egwene, and maybe Nynaeve, as the Dragon Reborn gives both of them the title of Chosen One. They are now as special as Rand Perrin and Mat. I disagree with Dr. Olsen that this is a good thing. In the books, you know that the boys are going to be special. They are Ta'averen after all. But I related much more to Egwene as the 'ordinary' person of the group who rose to be the one of, if the most powerful Amyerlin Seat. I think what Robert Jordan did here was a masterful take on Fate and Free Will, different than what Tolkien did in The Lord of the Rings.

No matter what Mat, Perrin and Rand do, the Wheel will weave around them. There is nothing they can do about that. Nynaeve and Egwene have choice. Making them contenders for The Dragon Reborn, even if the Tv show did make it to be Rand, I feel takes away that choice from them. Even if they are not given the title of Ta'averen, Egwene and Nynaeve will HAVE to be great. They have no choice to be anything other going forwards.

Back