Dischord and Chaos

Phillip Menzies

Staff member
What is the difference between dischord and chaos that Melkor brings to the Music of the Ainur? When would these two styles be used in the series?

I don’t know if this is a good answer, and I’m probably the wrong person to comment on this, but the discord could be more—well, not exactly atonal, but strident; f-sharps and f-naturals butted up against each other, and big clustery John Williams-style space chords that never resolve, but the rhythms, melodies, and counter-melodies should make some kind of send with each other.

As for the chaos, “Space Panther” and “The Rite of Spring” both come to mind, though for different reasons. “Space Panther” has no real melody, other than the occasional homage to Henry Mancini’s Pink Panther theme, and no real time, because everyone plays whenever they want. My college band played it; I tried to find a recording, but I’m starting to think it might have been written by one of the music composition students, because I can’t seem to find it anywhere—which may be just as well. The music needs to be chaotic, but the audience still has to listen to it, hence a sound more like parts of “The Rite of Spring.”

Something like the “bombing” section of “In Memoriam, Dresden, 1945” by Daniel Bukvich could also work.

Thanks for that. I'll go and have a listen to those that I am able to find. I am also trying to get a better sense of how chaos and discord can work in music to prepare to write the Ainulindale.

Thanks for that. I'll go and have a listen to those that I am able to find. I am also trying to get a better sense of how chaos and discord can work in music to prepare to write the Ainulindale.
I wish you the best of luck. That’s not an easy task, but I’m sure whatever you write will be great!

Back