Discord help, please

Bruce N H

Hey,

I've got a question about something that's been frustrating me. During the Exploring LotR sessions I have two windows open, one for the Twitch TV channel and one for the Discord discussion board, but it's hard to fit them on my relatively small screen. If I expand the Discord window to the full screen size I get this:
38988446170_d61083d957_n.jpg

Sorry about the resolution on this. Note that there are three panels in this window, with the central one for the question/comment stream.

Now if I squeeze the Discord window so I can also see the Twitch window, it looks more like this:
25926810627_98c0b9be1d_n.jpg

Note that the width of the left-hand and right-hand panels of the Discord window stay the same, but the central panel, i.e. the part I actually want to follow, has been squished into uselessness.

So, here is my question, is there a way in the Discord window to close or minimize those left-hand and right-hand panels, so I can maximize the width of the central panel?

Bruce

As far as I can see with a brief look at the Discord app, there seems to be no way to do precisely what you ask.

FWIW, my solution to this problem is to use a second screen. I like to use my iPad to watch Twitch and keep discord on my PC screen. However, a smart phone would work as well. I know there is a Twitch app for iOS, and I imagine it's available for Android and Windows phones as well.

You might also explore using a separate desktop. My experience is that you don't really need to see the Twitch window much during class. You really only need to check the text periodically, and I generally prefer to watch the discussion scroll past in Discord.

I definitely dual-screen. Chat and audio from Discord on one screen, muted Twitch on the other (with the delay in Twitch often exceeding 15 seconds, in chosing between audio/video being out of sync or being behind in the chat, I choose out of sync)

I usually have four windows open during the class, each sized to the full screen, and flip among them using the icons in the task bar at the bottom of the Windows screen: Discord for text chat, Twitch for audio and video, and 2 LOTRO windows for my main avatar and my bass player. (That last bit because we've taken to playing music before class as a quartet, with me playing two musicians and Crystal the other two.)

Mostly I'm watching Prof. Olsen on Twitch, and flip to Discord once in a short while to catch up on the chat. I have to click through the LOTRO windows about once every five minutes to keep the characters logged in. It might sound tedious but, after a year doing this, it has become habit.

*blink*

I never thought of that. The only tablet I have is my Kindle and my telephone doesn't do the web, but I know I can watch Signum U Twitch videos in the Silk browser on the Kindle. I just might try that! It would unload my graphics card a bit and save some clicking between windows, at the cost of making Prof. Olsen's slides harder to read.

*blink*

I never thought of that. The only tablet I have is my Kindle and my telephone doesn't do the web, but I know I can watch Signum U Twitch videos in the Silk browser on the Kindle. I just might try that! It would unload my graphics card a bit and save some clicking between windows, at the cost of making Prof. Olsen's slides harder to read.
Just to point out that the Twitch app on my Kindle Fire is at least half decent and enabled me to join in the webathon last Halloween from our hotel room, as well as watching streams while on holiday last summer, even when the WiFi wasn't of the highest quality.

Back