Discussion: Bilbo as the only one to give up the Ring

amysrevenge

From the "Questions for Narnion" section

One other thought on this thread. I am up to "The Mirror of Galadriel" and noted something I should have noticed before. Galadriel identifies herself as Nenya's keeper -- a role different than an owner. Rather, she sounds as if she views it as holding her ring in trust rather than ownership.

This is a really interesting point. Are there any references anywhere to Men or Dwarves claiming ownership of their rings?

For Dwarves perhaps the nature of their in-born desire for gold is what made their rings not work as Sauron desired - their lusty desire would be for the gold rather than for the power such that it is a different sort of "ownership" maybe?

I think in the case of Galadriel we need to consider that she and Celebrimbor (who crafted Nenya), both Noldor, had known each other literally for Ages. Celebrimbor and Galadriel were over 2 millenia old when he died in the Second Age.

There are different versions of their relation in Tolkien's legendarium, ranging from Celebrimbor loving Galadriel to revolting against her during the establishment of Eregion. See The Unfinished Tales (“The History of Galadriel and Celeborn”).

So it would be very hard for Galadriel to consider herself the owner of something that was sent to her by Celebrimbor with the request to keep it safe.

Also consider that the Three were never touched by Sauron, and would therefore not have their bearer fall into greed - or at least not to the same degree.

Back