Discussion: Frodo's Appearance

amysrevenge

From "Questions for Narnion"
From time to time Prof. Olson has commented on the casting of a very young Elijah Wood as Frodo in Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings movies. Re-reading the first few pages of "The Shadow of the Past", I noticed this passage for the first time:
As time went on, people began to notice that Frodo also showed signs of good 'preservation': outwardly he retained the appearance of a robust and energetic hobbit just out of his tweens. 'Some folk have all the luck,' they said; but it was not until Frodo approached the usually more sober age of fifty that they began to think it queer.​
I don't know enough about acting or directing to judge Wood's performance, but I think they might have got the actor's age right.

There's an additional wrinkle in the movies as they have chosen for Frodo to actually BE that much younger, not just look it. So the casting matches the role; the interesting adaptation is that they made the CHARACTER that much younger, not just the actor.

(Frodo and Merry and Pippin are all roughly of an age in the film, since they all appear on-screen during Bilbo's party.)

Back