Does Westron sound like Black Speech?

Jedi Master Tessa

To what extent is Westron related to Black Speech? They're both meant to be harsh, and in ep. 151, you noticed that there are a lot of z and k sounds, which is exactly what I've noticed in Westron. Also, English is supposed to be a translation of Westron, and the other languages are supposed to sound the same way to us as they would to Westron speakers. Of course, Black Speech doesn't sound similar in its sounds to English, but I do feel like there must be something in the fact that the rhythm of the English translation is the same as the original. Am I reaching too far or is Tolkien trying to connect Black Sppech to English and Westron?

To what extent is Westron related to Black Speech? They're both meant to be harsh, and in ep. 151, you noticed that there are a lot of z and k sounds, which is exactly what I've noticed in Westron. Also, English is supposed to be a translation of Westron, and the other languages are supposed to sound the same way to us as they would to Westron speakers. Of course, Black Speech doesn't sound similar in its sounds to English, but I do feel like there must be something in the fact that the rhythm of the English translation is the same as the original. Am I reaching too far or is Tolkien trying to connect Black Sppech to English and Westron?
As was stated in episode 151, Westron and Black Speech both sound harsh in comparison to Elvish (primarily Sindarin.)
This could be said of German and Arabic when compared to Italian, but doesn’t imply a relationship between them; German and Italian are Indo-European and Arabic is Semitic.

Westron (Adûni) seems to be alike to English as a creole of an older language; in this case Adûnaic, which itself is somewhat derived from Quenya.

The 3rd person plural pronouns in Adûnaic (ya/yi/yu) bear no resemblance to the -atul or -atulûk suffices that we see in Black Speech, and we have no evidence of common or similar word fragments.
We also don’t have much evidence of Westron language beyond personal and place names to compare to either Adûnaic or Black Speech.

I’d say the best direct evidence we have of them not being related is the use of Westron among the Orcs to communicate between tribes; if Black Speech were related to Westron why wouldn’t Black Speech be used instead to please Sauron?

I think the failure of Sauron’s Black Speech to be taken up as the language of all his servants makes it more like Esperanto: a constructed language created for the purposes of universal communication, but failing in its ultimate purpose due to it not having a culture to support it.

Back