Draft outline for Season 2

I agree with you that the Ents-Elves interaction is a must. That does not rule out Ainur having some contact with the Ents. Melian is there, as well as Tom Bombadil.

Yes they could, but that have had to hapend after the awakening of the elves, cause elves Are the first Children. The Dwarfs had wait so I think ents had to wait too

I've been talking about the time between the awakening and the time of leaving Beleriand on the island ferry, yes. Not before.

Naturally. But some might have a year or two for the Ents. As a parallel, Oromë leaves the elves on their journey because he has other things to do.
I'm just trying to come up with ideas that might be used in this season. We'll see what Dr Olsen, Trish and Dave says on Friday.

Back to dwarfs and sindar. I want to see the the sindar and the Dwarfs trade pearls and services(building menegroth)

Could there be something between the dwarves and the Laiquendi? Remember that the Dwarves were made by Aulë without "help" from the other valar. They dont care much about forests so there should maybe be a conflict between the dwarves and and the green elves like the one between the House of Bëor when they first settled in Ossiriand?

Yes, the accidental hunting of the petty dwarves should occur in this season, before the Sindar and Avari meet the other dwarves. [If we're going to take that sentence at face value, anyway.]

The storyline in Middle Earth should be building towards the first battle, which will affect Doriath, the Falas, and the Green Elves in Ossiriand, as well as the dwarves. The Battle will not happen until early in Season 3, it looks like, but if we're building up to it, all the parts should be onscreen in Season 2.

http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Denethor_(son_of_Lenwë)
http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/First_Battle_of_Beleriand

The Nandor were the elves who left the great journey when they reached the Misty Mountains. Some of them, under Denethor, later crossed into Ossiriand, but what happened to the others? It seems that his father Lenwë (Dan) stayed behind on the eastern side of the Misty Mountains (and he supposedly died of 'unknown causes'). Was that approximately where Lothlorien is later? Or are the Nandor of Lothlorien to some degree elves who stayed with Lenwë? Surely, they are at least closely related? This would be something that could connect the frame and the main story.

Edit: I see you've hinted at this in the outline (episode 3). The question is, are there Nandor in Lothlorien who were at Cuiviénen? If so, they should be referred to by Celeborn.

Last edited:
What brought they from the foundered land, across the flowing Sea?
Seven stars and seven stones and one white tree.

The answer to your question is Elendil. Elendil brings the palantíri from Numenor to Middle Earth towards the end of the Second Age. They remain in Valinor for now. But yes, I would like to see them as one of Fëanor's pre-silmaril projects. Also, he invents Tengwar, so we should not see any Tengwar writing/inscriptions prior to Fëanor's adulthood.
But the stones were given to the dunedain by Gil-Galad? So, who brought them from Valinor to Middle-earth?

I thought the Stones were brought to Numenor by the elves from Tol Eressea?
You are probably right. There seems to be some controversy here, but most probably the stones were left behind by the Noldor and then given by the elves of Tol Eressëa to the faithful among the Numenorians, along with the sapling of the white tree. (The problem with this would be that the elves of Tol Eressëa didn't visit Númenor after a certain point in time, and the stones are said to be given at roughly that time, and Amandil was very young etc. Even so, I think that scenario you refer to must be considered the most likely). I'll check my HOME (if somebody, like MithLuin, doesn't beat me to it..)

Last edited:
The noldor could have brought them to middle earth in the first age. Used them to communicate between the various realms of Beleriand (Hithlum, Nargothrond, Minas Tirith, Himring... Could there be more lost palantiri?) and after the war of wrath those Who went back to the undying land brought them to Tol Eresses

I've been wondering what we're going to do about the story of the Elf-fathers (which is in HOME The War of the Jewels). Do we treat it as a folk-tale and nothing but that, or is there truth in it? (My opinion tends to be that there is 'truth' in it but that we don't have to show it at all, although it can be mentioned - perhaps best done in the frame).

I think we should have the "fairytale" cause nothing in that tale contradicts with the published Sil. The tree fathers were the first three to awaken and it was them who formed the three clans of the elves. Ingwë, Finwë and Elwë Are Said to be among the first elves to awake, but it doesnt say they were the three first. They could be one of the other elves awaken after the fathers and found by them. They was chosen as ambassadors and could have been chosen as Kings by their clan after they came back and started the great march had started.

Do we treat it as a folk-tale and nothing but that, or is there truth in it?

I've always been interested in the interplay between myth/legend and history. So far we've treated everything like historical fact, but surely the Elves have their own myths and legends- only a hand full of them make it out of the first age alive, so there is "time" for history to become exaggerated/extrapolated even for the elves.

Now, I have no idea how we could present that with in our show...

Back