Dragon-Helm of Dor-Lomin

Ange1e4e5

So the Dragon-Helm of Dor-Lomin is going to be forged at the end of Season 4, as a barbute topped with a version of Glaurung the dragon in gold. Anything else to add or subtract from the design?

I thought the mask was something from earlier versions that didn't make it into later versions? That was the impression I'm left with. Though the dwarves making it after Glaurung's revealing himself and the fact they use masks against him later makes it reasonable that he would.

Also, let's consider this said of the helm:
"A power was in it that guarded any who wore it from wound or death, for the sword that hewed it was broken, and the dart that smote it sprang aside."
so it should have some dwarf runes on it to guard it.

a few other artistic sections.

This one has the eye mask, but not a full mask. Very Norse.

This one is interesting, but I prefer the dragon from the previous ones presented. I like the face mask though.
This one... Is probably over the top, especially for the helm that eventually goes to Turin, but I really like it as a dwarf helm, later on, and without the dragon perhaps.

The text for The Children of Hurin (the 2007 version) says that “in a grim mood he found in the armories a dwarf-mask all gilded, and he put it on before battle, and his enemies fled before his face.”

The text for The Children of Hurin (the 2007 version) says that “in a grim mood he found in the armories a dwarf-mask all gilded, and he put it on before battle, and his enemies fled before his face.”
If I remember correctly (I don't have my book with me at the moment), that mask was something Turin found in Nargothrond after losing the Dragon-helm. However, I think the Dragon-helm should still have a mask. Dwarf-masks protect the wearers from Dragon-fire, so I think it should cover the wearer's full face. I think it would be kind of cool to have the masks resemble gas masks in design.

If I remember correctly (I don't have my book with me at the moment), that mask was something Turin found in Nargothrond after losing the Dragon-helm. However, I think the Dragon-helm should still have a mask. Dwarf-masks protect the wearers from Dragon-fire, so I think it should cover the wearer's full face. I think it would be kind of cool to have the masks resemble gas masks in design.
He still had the Dragon-helm in the Fall of Nargothrond. After that point, it disappears from the story entirely.

In The Children of Hurin and "Narn i Hin Hurin" from Unfinished Tales, the Dragon-helm is described as having "a visor (after the manner of those that the Dwarves used in their forges for the shielding of their eyes)." I looked through both versions, and I'm pretty sure the Dragon-helm disappears when Turin is captured by Orcs. However, the version in Unfinished Tales does have Christopher Tolkien's note, "... it was my father's intention to extend the history of the Dragon-helm into the period of Turin's sojourn in Nargothrond and even beyond; but this was never incorporated into the narratives ... An isolated scrap of writing tells that in Nargothrond Turin would not wear the helm again 'lest it reveal him,' but he wore it when he went to the battle of Tumhalad," and the scene Tolkien wrote of Turin raising the visor of his helm when taunted by Glaurung.

The entry for year 495 in the Grey Annals in The War of the Jewels mentions that as well, and Christopher Tolkien's notes on that section say, "In the published Silmarillion (p. 210) I adopted a passage from another text in the vast assemblage of the Narn papers, telling how Turin found in the armories of Nargothrond 'a dwarf-mask all gilded,' and wore it into battle. It seems probable that this story arose at a stage when my father was treating the Dragon-helm as lost and out of the story (from the end of Dor-Cuarthol, the Land of the Bow and Helm, when Turin was taken by the Orcs), and I extended Turin's wearing of it to the battle of Tumhalad (p. 212)."

For SilmFilm, it seems we can choose between two options:
  1. The Dragon-helm is lost when Turin is captured, so he wears a Dwarf-mask he found in Nargothrond to Tumhalad. (published Silmarillion)
  2. The Dragon-helm is with Turin in Nargothrond and he wears that to Tumhalad and when he faces Glaurung for the first time. (other notes)

My thought was that the Dragon-helm is still with Turin, the Dwarf-mask is acquired in Nargothrond, and they’re used in tandem at Tumhalad until Turin abandons his identity in Brethil.

My thought was that the Dragon-helm is still with Turin, the Dwarf-mask is acquired in Nargothrond, and they’re used in tandem at Tumhalad until Turin abandons his identity in Brethil.
I don't think he could wear a mask and a visor at the same time.

I think the visor would cover his whole face, especially if it's designed after the PPE that the Dwarves use in their forges.
Most of the drawings (including the one that forms the cover for The Children of Hurin) shows the Helm with the lower half of Turin's face visible.

Most of the drawings (including the one that forms the cover for The Children of Hurin) shows the Helm with the lower half of Turin's face visible.
View attachment 2491
But that helmet doesn't have a visor. While I really like Alan Lee's design, I think the Dragon-helm should have a visor that Turin can raise and lower, especially if he still has it when he faces Glaurung in Nargothrond.

There seems to have been enormous variety in visor design. Some examples:

HI621-2__44875.1487606010.jpg
e372_b.jpg
18pehew8wi65ajpg.jpg

ir_80411.jpg
220px-German_-_Close_Helmet_of_the_%22Maximilian%22_Style_-_Walters_51465_-_Profile.jpg
m2-copy-500x500.jpg

These are all fairly plain, but the Dragon-helm would likely be much more elaborately decorated.

Something fun to keep in mind when thinking about the Dragon-helm is that Telchar never sees Glaurung in person, so the Dragon on the crest will be a Dragon as imagined by someone who has never seen a Dragon before.

Screenshot_2019-12-15-18-35-43-1.pngScreenshot_2019-12-15-18-36-35-1.png

Examples not so much for helmet types i would consider personally, but for dragon-helmet ornaMentals...

I also agree that Telchar would design the dragonhelm with a visor, as one of the few details she knows about dragons after the fight in the season finale is a) they breathe fire and b) don't look them in the eye. Dwarf-helms are known to have faceplates protecting them, so...make it happen.

When Túrin will lose the Dragon-helm is something we have yet to determine in Silm Film, but I think that the mask feature is important. No doubt the actor will always wear it open, as it seems more important that you can see an actor's face than that he wear a helmet in a battle situation on film ;).

You know it's kinda funny, when I think of helm (that's not on a ship), I think of a greathelm, which looks a bit like a bucket.

Back