DuoLingo

Sparrow

Hestia of the Hearth
Folks, I've been using DuoLingo more regularly during Sparkling Isolation. Please feel free to befriend me there - my moniker is Glaiseun, and I'm currently studying Scottish Gaelic, Irish, Welsh, and German.

Eek Welsh lol

Spent the first ten years or so of my life taking obligatory Welsh lesson. I can loosely pronounce most place names, count to ten, say some colours, and the odd greeting. Lost all the rest. Every now and then I wish I could speak my 'mother tongue'. How's it been going?

P.S You should add Gaeilge, Manx and Cornish into the mix and get the full Celtic experience lol

Eek Welsh lol

Spent the first ten years or so of my life taking obligatory Welsh lesson. I can loosely pronounce most place names, count to ten, say some colours, and the odd greeting. Lost all the rest. Every now and then I wish I could speak my 'mother tongue'. How's it been going?

P.S You should add Gaeilge, Manx and Cornish into the mix and get the full Celtic experience lol

Start to read some childrens' books or - even better - listen to them as audiobooks. With the basis you already have, it should be enough to "force" your brain to use what it already knows by regular exposure. After several weeks, it should start to come back again.

Start to read some childrens' books or - even better - listen to them as audiobooks. With the basis you already have, it should be enough to "force" your brain to use what it already knows by regular exposure. After several weeks, it should start to come back again.

Oh, no it's pretty far gone lol I should just get my nephews to teach me, they still live there and have a fairly good basis. The thing is, I will never use it day to day and so I won't really ever practice or refine it very much. But it would be nice to have. Then again, I'm not one for national identity. I'm Welsh only when I remember lol

Oh, no it's pretty far gone lol I should just get my nephews to teach me, they still live there and have a fairly good basis. The thing is, I will never use it day to day and so I won't really ever practice or refine it very much. But it would be nice to have. Then again, I'm not one for national identity. I'm Welsh only when I remember lol
Ii is a valuable language to keep. As a Slav have me difficulties with Celtic grammar but find it very fastinating. The reverse logic is quite mind-blowing to me.
Try to get "The Hobbit" in Welsh as audio and listen to it while driving. With a text you know and love it should start to come back after you listen to it several times.

Hmm. The Hobbit has been translated into Irish, Breton, and Cornish -- and Galician -- but no other Celtic languages. Not even Welsh.

Hmm. The Hobbit has been translated into Irish, Breton, and Cornish -- and Galician -- but no other Celtic languages. Not even Welsh.
Oh, he could always have his nephew translate and record it for him. A worthy project. If they would start now, they should be ready for Christmas? But regrettably he is a deleted member now.

Back