Dwarves

Haakon

Administrator
Staff member
Since I started one thread about Elves and one about Men, I might as well start one about Dwarves. Post pictures and give your thoughts on why this actor or actress should play a Dwarf, and then we can carry on arguing in individual casting threads.

Daniel Craig.
images

I mean he could also be a Man, but I'd love to see him play a Dwarf.

Swedish actor David Dencik.
He is a really good actor, who has played all sorts of roles, often a bit odd or even disturbed. Known from Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy. Perhaps I see him most of all as a Petty Dwarf.
images
david-dencik-uk-premiere-tinker-tailor-soldier-spy-01.jpg

question is:do we have a possibility to integrate durin as he's not in the sil?

we have few dwarves:mim,khim,ibun,azaghal and maybe telchar,gamil zirak,naugladur,fangluin and bodruith...s
to fledh these out will be quite sime work,

Yes I think we won't include Durin. And perhaps he's best left to myth. Blessed could be Telchar or Gamil Zirak...

i wozld like blessed or stahl as azaghal

i could see dencik as khim or ibun if we expand their roles...

craig as bodruith or fangluin?

question is:do we have a possibility to integrate durin as he's not in the sil?
We won't see Durin I, true, but Durin III is friends with Celebrimbor, and does send an army to oppose Sauron -- at least at first -- and Durin VI and the Balrog will be a story we'll want to tell. We could also have Durin I in flashbacks (though I'd argue those be vague/evocative/unspecific as to retain a more mythic stature).

So I guess what I'm saying is... if we want to go with the reincarnation idea, or even that they just look a lot like Durin I, we might take some time to think about what we want Durin the Deathless to look like.

Well, Durin VI doesn't pop up until T.A. 1981.
Yes, but if we're going with the reincarnation idea (which I at least want to leave open as a possibility), Durin should be cast sooner rather than later, so that we can cut to him, or film flashbacks, at our desire.

Let's just keep in mind this is the first appearance of dwarves in the story. So let's make sure we do not only cast old actors for dwarves. You may critize Peter Jackson for how he portrayed dwarves, but at least he got the age mix right.

well...

mim is ancient so i guess his sons are not quite that young... maybe middle-aged..

gamil zirak certainly is ancient too.

which dwarf could be young? i think telchar,naugladur and fangluin are possibky also muddle-aged...

or we expand the characters and cast two actors so some dwarves appear as youngsters at first and later again as more ages persons...

Dwarves will first appear in the context of meeting the Sindar and building Menegroth. So, we will have plenty of opportunity to show a group of dwarves, and I agree that some should be (at least somewhat) young.

I think the Dwarves we have named should be at least 'middle-aged'. I think we have to invent younger Dwarves.

Back