Dwarves

well we could... but dwarf women are probably just as strong and stubburn as possesive as the males..

however those things never really appear in any story or scene that would be relevant for us so i guess,just like the origin of orcs we can leave much dwarfish culture the mystery it was.

Last edited:
Depends on what you mean by "relevant" I guess. If we're faithfully telling exactly the PubSil story, no more and no less, then Dwarves can/must stay dark and mysterious forever. If we're expanding the scope to be a story of Beleriend in the 1st age, including things that occur "off camera" in PubSil, then we can choose to lift the veil a bit. Like we are doing with Sauron and Gothmog jockeying in Angband for instance.

Depends on what you mean by "relevant" I guess. If we're faithfully telling exactly the PubSil story, no more and no less, then Dwarves can/must stay dark and mysterious forever. If we're expanding the scope to be a story of Beleriend in the 1st age, including things that occur "off camera" in PubSil, then we can choose to lift the veil a bit. Like we are doing with Sauron and Gothmog jockeying in Angband for instance.

I think that it is important to have named dwarvish characters as part of the political environment of Beleriand. It will make the death of their king during the battle against Glaurung far more poignant.

well most of the pubsil story happens in a few hundred years... we'll have to see if azaghal,naugladur,bodruith, fangluin are sufficent of if there will be scenes coming up where we need to invent some fathers,sons,wives and other relatives and advisors who get more lines.

well most of the pubsil story happens in a few hundred years... we'll have to see if azaghal,naugladur,bodruith, fangluin are sufficent of if there will be scenes coming up where we need to invent some fathers,sons,wives and other relatives and advisors who get more lines.

I think we need to have something established before we get there. I want uninitiated viewers to be cheering like hooligans when the Dwarves arrive on the field unlooked-for.

i guess we might need a timeline for the dwarves...

1250 yt -dwarves and sindar have first contact

1300 - dwsrves help carving out menegroth

1497 - battle at mt dolmed

1500 - end yt

52- 102 - dwsrves help carve out nargothrond

150- caranthir makes alliance with dwarves

250 -

260 - glaurungs first sppearance

400 - eol is around

455 - after this dwarves join union of maedhros

545-587 - war of wrath

azaghal - belegost,king, dies 472

telchar - nogrod, maker of draginhrln,narsul and angrist, dies before 455 or 472?

naugladur - nogrod,king,death 503

fangluin - nogrod, dmith &lord, death 503

bodruith-belegost,king,death 503

gamil zirak - unknown (possibly nogrod?),smith&lord, around before 455,posdibly before 265¿

re

Last edited:
thinking of it we might need dwarflords who are there during the late years if the trees - if we need named dwsrf characters who appear in the making if menegroth, and the battle of mt dolmed...

maybe also at 52-102 at menegroth or at 150 at caranthir's... though technically gamil zirak could have been alive at 150 as a young dwarf.

if we decide to show dwarves at the war of wrath we might want to invent heirs fir belegist and nogrod to appear in 545—587

or we could decide that dwarves were longerlived in the first age... in that case a young telchar and azaghal could be around in 50—250 and a young gamil zirak in 1250yt-50—102

Last edited:
So I'm looking for a craggy-but-not-too-craggy-and-dwarfy-but-not-too-dwarfy face and find these:
Willem Dafoe. upload_2017-4-12_9-18-7.jpeg
James Frain. upload_2017-4-12_9-19-16.jpeg
Mathieu Amalric.
images

That may be, but my point was that his eyes are piercing and that he could play a Dwarf. He has a dwarfy beard.
wes-bentley-beard.jpg

I don't know. That's a question for the costume section. It's easy to forget, but this is a casting thread.

yup.in fact i thought this was more general about dwarves, but it's indeed in the casting section. to to correct my mistake:

-gamil the young could be around as a lord of nogrod or belegost a 1250-1300,1497 and as an aged dwarf at f.a. 50

at that time he may have a teenage apprentice named telchar.

telchar might be around as a young man or teenager at fa 50 and a mature dwarf at fa100 and fa 150. about fa 260 hes ancient.

azaghal may be a bit younger, if he was around at 150 he would have been a youngster and very aged in fa 472 when he dies.

i doubt that mim was around when the petty dwarves were driven out of sharbhund.he was likely born after, even if he was born in 161 he wozld have been quite ancient, and i guess as most dwarves father their children at an average age of 100 , his sons ibun and khim also were not young in fa 486 when they meet turin, but already quite mature.

when eol is around about fa 400 he may have been friends with a mature bodruith and naugladur and a very young fangluin. ofcourse before he may have known telchar, azaghal and gamil zirak- but these are more friendly dwarves, i don't know if their relationship to him play a role in our story.

naugladur and bodruith would be quite old in fa 503, while iguess fangluin is a bit younger (at last he has blue beard not yet a grey or white one)

question now:
do we cast different actors for
young/old gamil and telchar or will we do that aging by masque/ prosthetics?

Last edited:
Back