Dwarves

Dwarves could be using masks on many occasions, both women and men - or a mask would immediately imply a woman. They could use them when smithing, in battle etc.

They wear masks or masked helmets in battle... Maybe masks derived from smith- masks or other face- covers... If we use masks we could as well use veils.

So how would a veil hide the fact that a dwarf is female?

Depends on the style of the veil, to determine how much of the face is covered.

If we put them in a niqab, that would conceal beards.

So, you would be able to tell that the dwarf is a woman, but you would not be able to tell if she had a beard or not.

The suggestion that a culture that used face veils would also think to have masked helmets is not implausible.

As far as women disguising themselves as men for travelling purposes - even with the best disguise, the voice is always a give-away. I have a bunch of female friends who use beards in various costumes, and (not shockingly) many of them are mistaken for men when they wear them...until they speak ;) Something to keep in mind, if we ever do have traveling female dwarf characters to worry about.

Last edited:
Thinking of Firebeards and what kind of Dwarves they seem to be, I found Anthony Michael Hall.
upload_2017-11-10_11-24-27.jpeg
anthony-michael-hall-net-worth1.jpg

Season 3 Dwarves:

Here are the dwarves we will need to cast in Season 3 (so far)

Azaghal, Lord of Belegost
Telchar, Smith of Nogrod (young here)
Dwarf of Belegost who speaks Sindarin and thus serves as an interpreter during the meeting between Thingol and Azaghal and the building of Menegroth.
Lord of Nogrod? (We will probably need him, but maybe not right away)

There will be various background/extra dwarves, of course, but these are probably the only ones we will introduce in such a way that the audience will be expected to know who they are.

For coming up with names... what sources of Neo-Khuzdul do y'all consider (comparatively) authoritative? I use the Dwarrow Scholar mostly, supplemented by David Salo's blog, but I am not an expert on Tolkien's languages, their study, or their adaptation. Are there better sources out there for Khuzdul? Any major (or minor) complaints about DS or Salo?

I seem to recall that, yes.

Edited to add: Not sure he meant we need Zirak now. But we do want him to be really, really old when the drama with Thingol happens... so we'll need to introduce him well in advance of that.

Gamil Zirak will be an old dwarf character about 500 years from now, so we can introduce him as a young-ish dwarf in Season 4, but not quite yet, I don't think. Telchar will be our 'famous dwarf smith' of the moment.

Can't we still switch zirak and telchar? I really would like the idea of having telchar being ziraks apprentice better...

I'd post this in S3 Casting but I won't before we have a name.

Dwarf of Belegost who speaks Sindarin and thus serves as an interpreter during the meeting between Thingol and Azaghal and the building of Menegroth.
What kind of guy would this be? Are we going with a servant, someone who holds back his own person - or someone who tries to add to Azaghal's kingship with bombastic gestures, a stern voice and a sense of royalty?

An example of the servant type interpretor: Greek actor Errikos Litsis
upload_2017-11-21_10-45-20.jpegupload_2017-11-21_10-45-27.jpeg

Another alternative is Elias Koteas, who would be more of a friendly guy, I guess.
images
upload_2017-11-21_10-50-34.jpeg

I'd post this in S3 Casting but I won't before we have a name.

What kind of guy would this be? Are we going with a servant, someone who holds back his own person - or someone who tries to add to Azaghal's kingship with bombastic gestures, a stern voice and a sense of royalty?

Actually i think to mix both into one single character would be funny!

And i think we should call him " norn". Norn is a sindarin term for "hard/dwarf" but also a nice allusion to the norse norns... Like mim to mimir.

Last edited:
Norn works for me! I am picturing him as a Haldir-like character. .. someone from a naturally suspicious culture who is happy to talk with outsiders. He is motivated to make the Sindar alliance work, and is thus friendly with Mablung and enthusiastic about runes. We have him involved in road building, so he is perhaps a stone mason or guard before he becomes an ambassador.

Back