Eönwë and Sauron

wobh

I've long been intrigued by the idea that Sauron "did obeisance" to Eönwë at the end of the first age and "abjuring all his evil deeds" as briefly described in "Of The Rings of Power and the Third Age". Being inspired in the night, I wrote up a short dialog. Unsure of who else could possibly be even remotely interested in it, please forgive me for sharing it here.

-----

Two figures meet in a fog. In the distance, shrouded in smoke, is flickering fire, and rumbling thunder which sometimes takes on the rhythms of laughter.

E: "Welcome, brother."

S: "I have come to surrender."

E: "Excellent! You will be coming back with us, then?"

S: "Is that all?"

E: "What else would you wish for?"

S: "What will you do with me?"

E: "You will come back with us. You will go before the council. You will recieve a judgement. You will remain with us thereafter."

S: "What judgement will be issued for me?"

E: "I cannot say. You must come back and receive it."

S: "Do you know what I have done?"

E: "We have heard and seen much of your deeds."

S: "--Terrible deeds!"

E: "Also extraordinary deeds. What troubles you, brother?"

A large outburst of fire and thunder in the distance distracts them.

S: "You are destroying everything we've built."

E: "Now, now. We are, in fact, trying to destroy as little as we possibly can. You must admit, you have made it quite impossible for us to save as much as we wish."

S: "What will you do with me?"

E: "You must come back with us."

S: "What will the judgement be?"

E: "My brother, what possible burden could be laid on you, that you could not easily bear for all the long ages of the world? There is none. Your own heart weighs far more than any doom. We can only lighten it. Come back with us. There are still a few who would be glad to see you again. You can win back the others. You can repent. You can atone. You can make amends. Does that seem difficult?"

S: "I ... would have to ... serve."

E: "Of course. We are all servants. I can see this troubles you. I must go and finish our work. Search your heart, brother. When you're ready, come back with us. You can find us by following the sound of laughter."

Exit E.

S: "... You only serve because you dare not rule."

Last edited:
Back