Easter Eggs

Phillip Menzies

Staff member
In the last session Corey said that he really wants to write in Tevildo Prince of Cats and Rumil into the series somewhere so I thought that many of us have our favourites that we would like to see just for a moment on screen.
What or who do you want to see as an Easter Egg?

My wish is to see Pengolod the elf, also known as Pengolod of Gondolin. He is the elf who wrote the accounts of these days that was handed on to Rumil and was told to Eriol in the BOLT. I would show him occasionally throughout the series, in Valinor, again in Gondolin, at the havens and finally at Tol Eressia during the second age. Every time you see him he is writing in a book and then someone whacks him on the shoulder saying "Hey Pengolod .......... we're leaving Valinor .......... take up arms, the enemy is here ...... look, it's a flying boat" or something of that nature.

I am imagining Pengolod wearing glasses. I suspect that it is impossible for elves to ever need glasses; but I think that if any elf in the history of Arda would wear glasses, it would be Pengolod.

I think it would be very funny to have Thinking Fox worked into as many scenes as possible; hanging out in the background, mixed in with extras, worked into artwork, etc.
It could be like all of the "hidden" Mickey Mouse heads in Disney movies.

(That's right. I brought up Disney in a Tolkien project, cause I like to live dangerously."

As we are getting closer to planning the war to begin all wars and discussing the creatures of horn and ivory that are spreading over Middle Earth as a sign of Melkor's corruption I was reminded by Karita about Gandalf's comment "There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world". We must show a Watcher in the Water during the war. At least one, possibly more. We also should not give it a name, just show it, remembering that the name Watcher in the Water was from the book found in the chamber of Marzarbul.

As we are getting closer to planning the war to begin all wars and discussing the creatures of horn and ivory that are spreading over Middle Earth as a sign of Melkor's corruption I was reminded by Karita about Gandalf's comment "There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world". We must show a Watcher in the Water during the war. At least one, possibly more. We also should not give it a name, just show it, remembering that the name Watcher in the Water was from the book found in the chamber of Marzarbul.

Yes, I've been suggesting this for some time. I should like to see a number of grotesque, tentacular monsters in Melkor's employ.

Cameo Easter Eggs are great fun, of course.

There's this one in X-men First Class -

This works perfectly well without any name being used because the audience recognizes the actor and character of Wolverine without any explanation from the many prior X-men films. We'll have to work a lot harder with most of our Easter Eggs, of course, so the eventual name-drop (especially in Pengolod's case) will be necessary.

Another suggestion for a cameo is Tom Bombadil. We know he's been here since the first raindrop and before Melkor entered Arda. So.....that makes him totally available for any Middle Earth scene we might want him for. I think he could appear once, briefly, perhaps each season, just in the background doing his own thing and totally unconcerned with anything that is going on in the plot. Perhaps his first appearance could be during the journey of the elves to Valinor early in Season 2?

Just a random observer dressed in blue with yellow boots and a feather in his hat.....

I mean, we don't have to overdo it, but if Stan Lee can have a cameo in almost every Marvel movie, then......

Last edited:
I love this idea. He can be pouring a drink, looking down into a pond, staring up at a tree, having a discussion with a badger...so many possibilities.

It came up in the podcast today that he could be building his house among a bunch of saplings which would become the Old Forest!

There can be an Elf in the background who is constantly doting on Finrod, much to everyone's amusement.

He even proclaims that he doesn't feel like he's from the House of Finarfin, but from Finrod instead. And everyone just looks at him with patient smiles, "Oh, Gildor...."

Back