Ecthelion

Ange1e4e5

So what I’ve heard of Ecthelion is that he’s amongst the toughest of Elves, an Elven “Rambo”.

This guy might be a bit short, but the mentality fits, I think. I’ve gone through a lot of trouble to find pictures, it’s very hard to get photos of him without a beard.
Tom Hardy
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0362766/
Height: 5’9”
Roles: Lance Twombly in Black Hawk Down, Charles Bronson in Bronson, Heathcliff in Wuthering Heights, Earnes in Inception, Bane in The Dark Knight Rises, Max Rockatansky in Mad Max: Fury Road, Reggie and Ronald Kray in Legend, John Fitzgerald in The Revenant, Eddie Brock in Venom (2018)
Hardy’s known for being very physical with his roles, known for playing tough guys, and even tough guys with a sensitive side.
Tom-Hardy-1-787x1024.jpg

inception-tom-hardy-joseph-gordon-levitt.jpg

Tom-Hardy-stars-as-the-Kray-tw.jpg

tom-hardy-mad-max-5-sisky-business-harbour.png

Wasn't Ecthelion " grey skinned" what does that mean anyway, do we have to consider such things in casting?

Where does it say he has grey skin? We might have to use makeup for that, because it will be very hard to find an actor with grey skin.

Last edited:
Again, we have to find people who can sing. He's supposed to have the most beautiful voice in Gondolin (and the most talented flute player).

I had Hardy in mind for Beren....
I’ve had Richard Madden in mind myself. I nominated Hardy a year or two ago for Feanor, think he’s too old for Beren. We musn’t be afraid to dream a little bigger.
Again, we have to find people who can sing. He's supposed to have the most beautiful voice in Gondolin (and the most talented flute player).
We’ll be hard-pressed to find actors who can play the flute.

I’ve had Richard Madden in mind myself. I nominated Hardy a year or two ago for Feanor, think he’s too old for Beren. We musn’t be afraid to dream a little bigger.

We’ll be hard-pressed to find actors who can play the flute.

Too old to play Beren, but young enough to play an ageless elf?

Or Hardy can play "Rog," if he is a lord of Gondolin in this series.

Whether or not Ecthelion was grey-skinned in the Lost Tales (is that where that's from?) he wouldn't be so in a LotR-compatible SilmFilm. Grey skin isn't mentioned in Unfinished Tales.

Ecthelion, whose face was of the pallor of grey steel

What does cause such a thing?fear? Sickness? I just wondered... sorry for spamming this, it should maybe be in mask&makeup or such a thing..

He can sing too, since he was Kristoff in Frozen and King George III in Hamilton.
Yeah I know! I’m not sure about the flute though... But apparently he wanted to become a trumpet player when he was younger...My guess is that he’s no stranger to the flute either. :)

Yeah I know! I’m not sure about the flute though... But apparently he wanted to become a trumpet player when he was younger...My guess is that he’s no stranger to the flute either. :)
As I said, we’ll be hard-pressed to find someone to play the flute. Trumpet playing is a bit different from playing the flute because trumpet music is transposed up a whole step; an “a” will be a “b” on trumpet music. Flute music doesn’t transpose, as far as I’m aware. I guess we could have an orchestra player play the flute and Ecthelion mimes along?...

Yeah playing a trumpet is different, I know. The blowing technique is also quite different. But playing the flute is, I dare suggest, much easier. In my country, at least when I was a kid, many children learned to play simple tunes on the flute. I mean even if Groff doesn’t play on a professional level, he should know enough to play well enough to make it look good, as you imply.
Of course, it all depends on what kind of flute we’re talking about. Some are probably more difficult to play. But let’s not get stuck in this matter....

I honestly don’t think there’s a 100% certainty that we will cast for Rog. And if we do, I think it would be a waste to cast Hardy.

Yeah playing a trumpet is different, I know. The blowing technique is also quite different. But playing the flute is, I dare suggest, much easier. In my country, at least when I was a kid, many children learned to play simple tunes on the flute. I mean even if Groff doesn’t play on a professional level, he should know enough to play well enough to make it look good, as you imply.
Of course, it all depends on what kind of flute we’re talking about. Some are probably more difficult to play. B
ut let’s not get stuck in this matter....
I’m a violinist myself.

But honestly, Rog and Ecthelion sound like the same person.

We could try Sebastian Stan for Ecthelion.
Height: 6’0”
Roles: Bucky Barnes/Winter Soldier in MCU
Sebastian-Stan.png

05-bucky-4-winter-soldier.nocrop.w710.h2147483647.2x.jpg

Last edited:
Back