Elrond's introduction of Aragorn

Eliza

The last episode got me thinking a lot about the way Elrond introduces Aragorn to Boromir. I liked the rationales discussed during the episode, but I wonder if there are some other angles as well. In particular, is it possible that some of the details Elrond includes are intended to frame Aragorn's coming in the most hopeful and non-threatening way possible, so as to predispose Boromir to welcome the prospect of his coming to Gondor? And might he even be thinking about how to ease Boromir into the idea of a smooth transfer of power to Aragorn as king? Two phrases in Elrond's speech stand out to me.

1. "...of Minas Ithl": To me, it's striking that Elrond is using the ancient name for a place that is now known as a source of horror--Minas Morgul. This calls to mind Gondor's former glory (surely a winning strategy when speaking to Boromir!), but might it also hint at a possible brighter future? After all, the poem has spoken of "counsels...stronger than morgul spells." That's not a direct reference to Minas Morgul, but I can't help but wonder if the mention of Minas Ithil gestures toward a juxtaposition of the two. Might Elrond be subtly suggesting that Aragorn's return could lead to the restoration of Minas Ithil in place of Minas Morgul?

2. "Few now are left of that folk": When I got to this line during the episode, my first thought was that it made the northern Dunedain sound non-threatening as a military power. (They might be led by a guy with an awesome sword, but he's not exactly leading countless hordes.) This seems significant not only with regard to the war with Sauron, but also with regard to Aragorn's intentions toward Gondor. Boromir has been at war his whole life: I can't help but think that as soon as he catches on to the fact that Aragorn represents an alternative claimant to power, at least part of his mind will leap to the possibility of armed conflict. Elrond's words, then, could be meant in part to preempt any thoughts of an invading force from the north. If there are few of Aragorn's people left, he can't be planning to pit them against the Gondorians.

Just a few thoughts...I'm curious to know if anyone else thought along similar lines.

Back