Elves

I haven't seen Lazar act but he's probably the best candidate I've seen for Maglor so far.

As the leader of an ill-fated rebellion who manages to get all of his friends killed, Enjolras is about as Fëanorean as you can get in a musical :)

Just teasing, as a joke, I 'recast' the Fëanoreans in a bunch of different musicals (purely for comedic value). So, there are some obvious roles where they fit - like in '7 Brides for 7 Brothers' - they seem the types that wouldn't think kidnapping is such a big deal (here's looking at you, Celegorm). They also made good pirates in 'Pirates of Penzance,' striking newsboys in 'Newsies,' Jets in 'West Side Story,' and of course the rebellious students in 'Les Mis'.

Just teasing, as a joke, I 'recast' the Fëanoreans in a bunch of different musicals (purely for comedic value). So, there are some obvious roles where they fit - like in '7 Brides for 7 Brothers' - they seem the types that wouldn't think kidnapping is such a big deal (here's looking at you, Celegorm). They also made good pirates in 'Pirates of Penzance,' striking newsboys in 'Newsies,' Jets in 'West Side Story,' and of course the rebellious students in 'Les Mis'.
Heck, they could fit as the seven main characters of Rent, if we squint.

An aside from the general topic here, but as we think about actors for specific roles, I vote we follow the lead the execs took with Tom Hiddleston: that is, if someone is most famous for playing a villain or hero, we don't cast them in a role that is ridiculously similar. Hence Hiddleston gets Fingolfin, rather than Feanor. I think any actor we would want to cast would be talented enough to play more than one role, and it's more interesting for the audience.

To a point - there has to be something about their performance that will translate well to the new role. I think that in the case of Hiddleston, he has a 'sympathetic' darkness to him that does not hide complete ruthlessness. I will have no trouble seeing him as a Fingolfin who participates in the Kinslaying, who drags all of his people across the grinding ice, and who challenges Morgoth in a duel. And they wanted a Fingolfin who is well-loved...but not necessarily all awesome hero from the beginning.

So while I am all for casting against 'type', I wouldn't want to cast someone who only does 'villainous sidekick' roles as a hero without a good reason. Not saying you were suggesting that, but, well, I like to argue for cautious moderation when I can. I guess that makes me a bit Finarfin here :p

To a point - there has to be something about their performance that will translate well to the new role. I think that in the case of Hiddleston, he has a 'sympathetic' darkness to him that does not hide complete ruthlessness. I will have no trouble seeing him as a Fingolfin who participates in the Kinslaying, who drags all of his people across the grinding ice, and who challenges Morgoth in a duel. And they wanted a Fingolfin who is well-loved...but not necessarily all awesome hero from the beginning.

So while I am all for casting against 'type', I wouldn't want to cast someone who only does 'villainous sidekick' roles as a hero without a good reason. Not saying you were suggesting that, but, well, I like to argue for cautious moderation when I can. I guess that makes me a bit Finarfin here :p
Point well taken, and agreed. I meant my assertion to be more a reaction against "[insert actor here] played a fantastic sociopath/sneak/traitor in GoT/Vikings/Marvel, he's perfect for Caranthir/Wormtongue/Maeglin!" Showing you can play the role makes sense. Setting up an exact parallel? That, to me at least, will set up false assumptions about the character (like last season, when we were discussing Hiddleston for Melkor. Tom could do it, definitely, but equating Melkor with Loki could easily make the audience misunderstand Melkor. As I think Corey put it, "Melkor has issues, but they're not Loki's issues").

That, or it will spoil the story arch for the character. Having a villain from GoT play Maeglin, for example, would be showing our hand far too early.

jensen-ackles-photos.jpg

After doing my due diligence of watching 11 seasons of Supernatural, I've determined that Jensen Ackles is pretty enough to be an elf. :p He's 39 years old, 6'1", and likes doing fight scenes.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0010075/?ref_=nv_sr_1

15 minutes of Dean Winchester being violent and killing people:

Oh, and he can sing and play guitar, it turns out:

If we go elf with him, obviously a Noldo. I would think he'd have to be related to Fingolfin, as he looks more like Tom Hiddleston than like Richard Armitage, but I suppose he'd make a decent Fëanorean if we wanted to go that way. Maybe Fingon? We could darken his hair a bit.

Dean Winchester in Medieval garb:
507c175a1fd2422bd39f4c05cc316784.jpg

Last edited:
Dafne Keen
Height: 4'11"
Best Known For: Logan as X-23
a9rW7MK_700b.jpg

sienna-novikov1.jpg

I could imagine her as a young Luthien, if we ever do that. Could also be a young Morwen if we do the exodus after the Battle of Sudden Flame.

Last edited:
Nikolaj Coster-Waldau
Height: 6'3"
Roles: Gary Gordon in Black Hawk Down, John Amsterdam in New Amsterdam, Jaime Lannister in Game of Thrones
Possibilities: Glorfindel, Annael
entertainment-2012-04-nikolaj-coster-waldau-nikolaj-628.jpg

BlackHawkDown_141Pyxurz.jpg

1413798995560_wps_184_DXCNNT_Game_of_Thrones_Se.jpg

I like him. I wish we had given him a role earlier. He's close to fifty, and while he is well preserved, I don't think he's right for the elves of the coming generations. He could play some man, though.

Back