Episode 124, Question concerning "a star shone on his breast"

Parwarzrah

I wonder whether in the line "To his surprise Frodo saw that Aragorn stood beside her, his dark cloak was thrown back and he seemed to be clad in elven mail and a star shone on his breast.", the star refers to the "brooch of silver shaped like a rayed star", which is apparently the insignia of the rangers later described in the book (see chapter 2 "The Passing of the Grey Company" in Return of the King). Maybe Aragorn even wears a real star-shaped brooch in the Hall of Fire - at a place and in a moment where he does not need to conceal his true identity (he could hardly wear such precious object in Bree without raising untwanted suspicions).

Also, I would interpret his standing close to Arwen (and appearing in an undeniable splendor -which is a recurring theme in the later text, always marking decisive moments on his road to kingship without betraying his principles and ideals) as a sign of the implicit acknowledgment of their love by the persons concerned (i.e. mostly by Elrond, who as we later read was the only one who "... knew fully what this hour meant for him" - chapter 3, The Ring goes South), as well as a manifestation of his general closeness to both of them (on a personal level) and of his high formal rang (for being of Eärendil/Elros/Isidur's line, the foster son of Elrond and chieftain of the Dúnedain - facts that Frodo and any first time reader has yet to know, but which are all contained within the book, provided that they read an edition that includes the appendices).
What matters in my opinion is not whether Aragorn is standing or sitting, but that he can stand that close to both (like a high-ranking and trusted courtier beside the king's throne) - which is also a position of high visibility in a hall where virtually all dignities of Rivendell and guests are present - and have openly at quiet and thus private conversation with the daughter of Elrond.
The moment describes Frodo's surprise who until then (as well as any first time reader) does not know about Aragorn's love for Arwen. He might not even understand the full implications of what he sees or might forget those again. Because, even after overhearing Aragorn muttering Arwen's name in Cerin Amroth, he never would have thought of Aragorn marrying Arwen until the very eve of their wedding.

Back