Ered Luin

Haakon

Administrator
Staff member
Ok we started to discuss the look of the Blue Mountains in the Mount Dolmed thread, so I decided to make a seperate thread for these mountains. I'll start by presenting the Scandinavian mountains as one suggestion for this legendary mountain range. They could at least work for the northernmost parts.
depositphotos_130646168-stock-photo-classic-norwegian-scandinavian-summer-mountain.jpg
scandinavian-mountains-and-valley-by-summer-picture-id669971336
08-jotunheimen-norway-codyduncan.jpg

Hmmm i don't know. I would prefer western european landscapes for beleriand...

The australian mountains just don't have the look i personally would connect with the ered luin.

It's not what I envision, either, but that is why I suggested it. Most of my mental visuals are from the United States or Western Europe, but it might be nice to expand beyond that -- Middle Earth is a big place, after all.

sure... and I guess my only problem is that the pictures of the Australiean blue mountains depict Mesas, and i don't think the Ered Luin are thought to be Mesas. Apart from that I#m open to outer european landscapes... the PJ movies did that in a good way, in fact the Landscapes are one of the things i liked best about his Version.

I think we could use two or three slightly different looks for the Ered Luin, since Ossiriand and Thargelion probably looks very different. North of the Ascar we should have more of pine forests (or maybe birches) and grass plains, while Ossiriand should be a lush, mixed forest. The mountains to the north could be somewhat higher and maybe have more snow on the peaks, certainly to the far north, and the peaks south of Mount Dolmed could be more rounded. I think we want a lot of the mountains covered with trees though, making them look blue.

Back