Feed borked again?

I4detail

Hey. So Last episode on either Apple Podcasts or Downcast is episode 147 from June. I see there's new episodes up on YouTube, though. Seems like the feed might be borked again? Or did it get pulled and nobody mentioned it?

For those of us who like to listen to podcasts while driving/walking/otherwise doing stuff out of the house that precludes watching/showing up to a certain website at a certain time every week and preferably downloadable content rather than streaming (as there are places I go where there is no cellular signal), anyone have any good options on how to listen?

...and I haven't been able to find the SilmFilm podcasts since the "Feed Changes" back in the middle of March.

I think I remember that the podcast feeds are maintained by volunteers. With everything going on in the world right now, I guess there's a dearth of volunteers, and I'm not going to complain about that at all. I've solved the problem for myself by using a youtube audio downloader (https://ytmp3.cc/en13/), and just running the mp3 files through a regular audio player instead of my podcast app. Hope that helps.

When I pledge money I do that mostly for the podcasts. Should I assume that none of that money goes to the care and feeding of the podcasts?

You will have to contact Signum to ask that question; I don't think it can be answered on the boards. All I know is that the podcasts are produced by volunteers. I do not know who these volunteers are, how many of them there are, nor what their schedules might be like outside of that volunteer activity. I also don't know what equipment or programs are used.

The Silm Film podcasts are still available under the 'Tolkien Professor' podcast. That has not been updated since May 1st, though, and only goes through Session 5-3.

If they need people to help produce then I'd hope they would put out a call. Depending on the requirements I'm sure there are some that would be interested in helping.

Up till now I think we all assumed things were good. Right now we don't know if we should offer to help, create our own or if they will all appear tomorrow.

Firing up the wayback machine, I see this from back in March . . .
As most of you are aware we've had a large number of podcast issues over the last couple of years. We recently made some significant changes which should alleviate most, if not all, of these issues.

If you are having trouble receiving the latest episodes in your podcast player, please try to re-subscribe using the URLs found on https://mythgard.org/listen.

For further information please listen to the latest episode on The Tolkien Professor Podcast: https://tolkienprof.fireside.fm/410
Seems like the issues have not been alleviated all that much after all. Or maybe the current issues are unconnected with those issues: the recordings do for sure need some editing/formatting work (done by volunteers) before they are ready to upload, so, as Mithluin said, it could be that volunteer work that is delayed, rather than any actual problems with the podcast feeds...

Can I suggest doing my workaround and simply converting the youtube video to a straight mp3. I don't know if this works for you but I use a stupid old mp3 player so I don't care how I get the audio.

I do not have any updates on the situation, but new podcasts have been added to the feeds!

Six new podcasts have been added to the Exploring Lord of the Rings feed, bringing the total up to 153
Link here:

Silm Film feed has been updated with 7 new podcasts, up to Session 5-10
Link here:

....and I ask not because I want to stir the effluent, but similar to what Simon Says (tee hee): if it is something that they need help with, I can (possibly) help, but no idea how to pitch in.

Back