Female Balrog

Ange1e4e5

Since we started talking about differentiating Balrogs, I couldn’t keep the idea of a female Balrog out of my head, as Gothmog’s lieutenant or something similar, maybe even Durin’s Bane.

Gwenoldine Christie
Height: 6’3”
Prominent Roles: Brienne of Tarth in Game of Thrones, Captain Phasma in the Star Wars sequel trilogy, Miranda Hilmarson in China Girl

7bb4c22c551b70a20f69d217e00332be.jpg

star-wars-the-last-jedi-phasma-returns.png

I don't think that we want to waste actors on this, since we can do it with special effects. The choice to cast an actor for the Fire Maia who later became Gothmog is I think something that wasn't entirely necessary, but it made sense at the time, we did have him for a few episodes before the balrogification, and it was a bit of fun. Now though, there is no need to go through this process. I hope we can use Christie somewhere else.

Eru has a number of lines and his voice will be clear and discernible. I don’t like the idea of casting a lot of actors on small parts though and especially when we hardly ever will hear them speak in a way that’s intelligible. The more the balrogs speak, the less frightening they become, in my opinion.

That all makes sense. And I wasn't saying we have to cast the Balrogs, I was just playing Devil's advocate.

While I can get behind balrogs not speaking during fights and can see them as the 'strong, silent, menacing' type, Gothmog at least will need to be a speaking role as a balrog. He will have conversations with both Morgoth and Sauron. He can talk less than those characters and do more listening, but he will have to speak.

The other balrogs can be nonspeaking roles, for the most part. I agree we don't need to cast them.

Ah, dang it. I was hoping to add a little more diversity to Morgoth’s court since Marielle had expressed concern about adding sexism to Morgoth’s list of transgressions in the Balrog thread. And I had just thought of another suggestion.

Monique Ganderton
Height: 5’10”
Roles: Various stunt work, Death (the blonde mutant in the prologue of X-Men Apocalypse), Proxima Midnight on-screen double for Avengers Infinity War

Back