Femme fatale et mauvaises femmes

Why thank you! Only one person has ever tried to pick me up while I was wearing it, and she had a tattoo of Mjolnir, so I guess that was okay. ;)

You know, this post is on a separate page, forcing me to go back in order to get some context. All you get from the above is that some female Thor fan tried to pick you up... which has multiple possible meanings.

Ah, I see. No, she didn't hit on me. :p

I had a few concerns when I decided to make that costume. The obvious one (no one will figure out what I am trying to make a costume of) didn't really bother me, as, well...I tend to make costumes of Tolkien characters not appearing in films, anyway.

But my secondary concern was that people might decide to try to pick me up or pull my hair if they *did* figure out who I was. And that only happened once. I told someone I was Mjolnir, and she called across to her friend, who came running over and picked me up, while I tried to step away mumbling something about 'you're not worthy.' So, hardly traumatic. I like the idea of being too heavy to lift being a positive attribute :p

The third issue is that the costume invites people to make lewd jokes, because I am essentially dressed as a fertility symbol. But, I haven't really had that problem. I think people awkwardly think I don't know that, and are afraid to say anything. So, it's mostly people saying, "I could make a joke about that," and me acknowledging that, "the jokes write themselves." But everything is left unsaid.

So last night I was re-listening to Session 16 and, I must say, I think my "mottled" Ungoliant outfit could really work with an emaciated Ungoliant. I couldn't possibly draw it, but I can easily envision that costume being skintight and sexy and confident in season 1, and then loose, hanging and baggy almost, in season 2. If we were making this for realsies, we could make her 2 different costumes, identical looking, but of different sizes, to help make her look more famished.

Also, I colored in the "final" Arien costume, and designed on a whim an Aredhel hunting garb. Enjoy!

Attachments

• Arien final-p1.jpg
    Arien final-p1.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 17
  • Aredhel-p1.jpg
    Aredhel-p1.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 17
Hey - sorry I didn't squeeze these into the costuming discussion today. If it's okay with you, we can revisit these designs when we go over orcs and other baddies in season 3?

Oh, definitely! Honestly I was worried about them having enough time to get through everything, and so chose to focus on elves....but left out accessories and baddies and other things. We'll have to deal with the Melkor-->Morgoth transformation too. I apologize if it was seen as a value judgement.

Last edited:
I want her to look as much as a bat as possible, so even if I like the second one, I definitely prefer the first one.

i´d like her to look a bit more human, because of the actress we chose and the decision that thuringwethil should have something innocent, almo0st childlike aboput her.

worst thing we could do is fall into the trap of the sexy vampire-Femme fatale... which has been already overtly done (like LOTROs Merrevail...) and has no evidence in the text.

Yes we've chosen an actress with a particular appearance but she should change into a bat form that is non-human.

"Thuringwethil I am, who cast
a shadow o'er the face aghast 3955
of the sallow moon in the doomed land
of shivering Beleriand.

'Liar art thou, who shalt not weave
deceit before mine eyes. Now leave
thy form and raiment false, and stand
revealed, and delivered to my hand! '
"

well... she absolutely needs to have iron-claws!

and a bat-fell/bat-raiment... what does bat-fell mean in the context? Is she a shapeshifter or is she not?

in
the Lay (lines 3402 ff.), as I have noticed (p. 284), 'the bat-wings are only
said to be such as bear up Thu's messengers, and are not associated with a
particular or chief messenger'.

we do not really have a lot of description how exectly she looks like... other than she's a bat/vampire

I always thought she was a shapeshifter using some kind of special magic since Lúthien donned her batskin and I didn't think Lúthien cuts the skin from Thuringwethil's corpse. This feature, someone putting on a cloak and turning into a creature, is not uncommon in the Nordic Myths. (Look also earlier in this thread)

Last edited:
Well they also used the wolf-skin of Draugluin, who showed no signs of being a shapeshifter. I think that the scene of skinning the corpses and preparing hides just wasn't shown or explained.

"Fell" and "hame" are archaic words for a skin or fur, apparently.

But yes, please, no Marrevail. Monsters from Hell should never, ever be sexy. Let's not have any sex objects. Ever.

Last edited:
I agree, there’s Draugluin, but they could use different methods - take Thuringwethil’s cape and skin Draugluin’s corpse. The cape could give them the idea but then they need yet another disguise and that pushes them to skin Draugluin.

Did Tolkien ever even explain how she was killed? I seem to recall she's never actually mentioned until suddenly, here's her flayed skin.

Actually, although you went with Thuringwethil as the actual name of a vampire, I thought it made more sense in the earlier version of the Lay -- it appears to me that originally it was the skin of an unnamed messenger, and "Thuringwethil" was a pseudonym Luthien made up for herself. At least it was a cleverer pseudonym than, uh, Nereb and Dungalef.

Last edited:
yeah, Christopher Tolkien speculated that it was a pseudonym... but seems he himself wasn't sure.

But you're right... it is never explained where the batskin comes from, the death of a Messrnger bat is never revealed.

at Tolkien Gateway they speculate she was either killed by Huan or died during the collapse of inas Tirith, but I can#t see where that comes from,seeems more like conjecture than from direct textual evidence.

recpnsidering,. i really DO like that first picture...

but i guess we still would put a human actor beneath those prosthetics... and what would that look like?

this?
a2fa703c30d3dc90aa9cdc371e4b506e.jpg

this?
il_340x270.1322551395_q8bg.jpg

or even this?
9527a4ff930a9a592685766bd482f5a0.jpg

Back