Findis

Marielle

Tungol suggested Sarah Gadon over at the elves thread, possibly for Idril or Galadriel, but I like her look for Findis.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0300589/

I have a head-canon that she's a student of Vaire (Noldo, and thus a maker, and she never does anything, not even leave for M.E. like her sister, so she's just as silent). Giving the Finwe clan a quiet, reflective member is appealing, and she's an obvious candidate. All we know about her is that she remains with her brother Finarfin after the Exile. Gadon has rather expressive eyes, so I think she could convey watching/observing and reflecting, even with minimal dialogue. We could have her be a sort of parallel to Vaire: while the Vala cryptically depicts future events, Findis could weave clear images of events that have passed.

Attachments

• Sarah Gadon 3.jpg
    Sarah Gadon 3.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 8
  • Sarah Gadon 4.png
    Sarah Gadon 4.png
    205.2 KB · Views: 8
  • Sarah Gadon 2.jpg
    Sarah Gadon 2.jpg
    454 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Ok she needs to colour her hair.

An alternative: Rose Byrne
upload_2016-11-11_12-43-10.jpegupload_2016-11-11_12-43-32.jpeg
images

Yes, I agree that Findis should be dark-haired...but we'll also probably be using a lot of wigs in this project. Particularly if elves have waist-length hair!

Does Findis have to have dark hair? Her mother is a Vanya... is there something in the Legendarium that says all of Finwe's children inherited his dark hair?

To be honest, I'm not sure... is there a canon...and if so, based on what? Personally, I think I assumed that all of Finwë's children had dark hair unless it was specifically stated otherwise.

I'm not saying I'm opposed to Findis having dark hair: goodness knows, it makes sense genetically.

But if we choose to have her blonde, it would visually put her in the Indis & Finarfin camp before she even says a word, as well as connecting her to Vaire, whose cast actress is a blonde.

Those might actually be reasons to make her darker... but it's something to think about.

It's mostly Tolkien's blanket statement in the Appendices of Lord of the Rings about the Noldor being dark-haired except for 'the golden house of Finarfin' - calling out his Vanya mother Indis and blonde wife Earwen of the Teleri as the reason Finrod, Galadriel et all are blond.

But of course Findis never came to Middle Earth and we may give Míriel silver hair, so.....we could make an exception if we wanted her blond, maybe.

I don't think we need to have every elf in Tirion have dark hair.

Back