Finrod

Haakon

Administrator
Staff member
This is a rather complex character that I'm sure people will have very strong opinions on when it comes to casting. He is supposed to be one of the wisest elves, but we want to give him an arch and I think it would be good to cast someone who can be both young and impulsive as well as insightful and mature. We have to find someone who is a singer, obviously. And on top of that, he has to fit in the appearance spectrum that we are creating for the house of Finarfin.

I suggest that we consider Jamie Campbell Bower. He looks like an elf, he can sing and I think he could pull of playing the part. He's not exactly like my mental image of Finrod, but has many of the qualities I think we should look for.
images
images
upload_2017-12-8_9-25-12.jpeg

Singing:

Nico Evers-Swindell
Height: 6'5"
Roles: Prince William in Will and Kate, Prince Kenneth in Grimm
MV5BMjE3OTAwNjYyNl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTM2NjQwMw@@._V1_UX214_CR0,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

82138111e70377a86660f64c70acaff1--doe-faces.jpg

article-0-0D46EEAE000005DC-0_224x352.jpg

Yes? Well maybe it’s going a bit far but considering this actor will be with us for a few seasons and we preferably should avoid having someone turn 40, I do think we have to limit ourselves.

Last edited:
Well after all our casting is purely hypothetical... We are looking for types, faced with character. No real actors who are supposed to actually perform.

Well I see your point but I disagree. The whole purpose of this exercise is to imagine we’re doing this for real, and we discuss issues as if we’re solving production problems. In this case, it’s casting. In every discussion we’ve considered the age of actresses and actors so that the actors chosen would fit if they were given the job today. There are exceptions but that’s the general position.

I suggest we at least draw a line at 35. But I will be looking for actors under 30.

I suggest we at least draw a line at 35. But I will be looking for actors under 30.
I think it's a matter more of how old they look, rather than how old the calendar says they are. Again, Lee Pace is younger than Orlando Bloom, but to my eye he definitely looked the elder, though that might be because Bloom is basically the essence of baby-face. Still, I could see us casting younger but more stately looking actors for more mature roles, and fresh-faced 30+ actors for others. But I agree, we should try to have a slightly younger looking cast for this generation.

Right! Ok I have to admit now that I have seen him act - in two productions. So even if I’m not sure that’s a good thing (me having seen him act twice and forgotten him), I feel more convinced that he could do the job.

I think Aaron Tveit could make a very good Finrod. He's 34, but often looks a bit younger, and he can definitely sing (he's starred in Broadway musicals). He's also a very solid actor, capable of pulling off drama, tragedy, and comedy. I've seen him in several different roles, but the most Finrod-relevant is probably the revolutionary leader Enjolras in the film version of Les Miserables. In that role he's quite convincing as a charismatic, self-sacrificing leader who cares deeply for his followers and maintains his courage of conviction in the face of inevitable defeat. On the other hand, in the few interviews I've seen he comes across as polite, friendly, and generally very likeable, so I can also see him as the prince who is quick to sympathize and strike up friendships with Men and Dwarves.

Aaron-Tveit_GettyImages.jpg.300x1200_q90_upscale.jpg

Back