Finwë

Haakon

Administrator
Staff member
Hey, let's start naming some names! The actual casting process is months away but we want to enter it well prepared and besides - we love this part of the project, don't we?
So, I'll start by saying that for some time, I've seen Richard Armitage as Finwë. I will probably change my mind later on, but for now, this is my guy.

upload_2016-5-23_9-13-48.jpeg

Finwë fanart, to give people an idea of how some see him (obviously with fanart, this is just a starting point, and ideas can be rejected).
Dark hair, blue-grey eyes, tall....that seems a pretty basic starting point! Also, we should pick someone who looks good in dark blue, I think....

EDIT: Maitimo and Grandfathers by daLomacchi on deviantart: http://dalomacchi.deviantart.com/

maitimo_and_grandfathers_by_dalomacchi-d4shdrj.jpg

Young Maedhros with Mahtan (Nerdanel's father) and Finwë (Fëanor's father)

???
3a3e78b4b237492d0d63f3c7c7c187e4.jpg

EDIT: Finwë by Kimberly80 on deviantart - she has a lot of Silmarillion portraits; do check out her work. http://kimberly80.deviantart.com/

finwe_by_kimberly80-d6t48nb.jpg

This image is Finwë's death, from 'The Darkening of Valinor' by Jenny Dolfen:
wp_finwe_col.jpg

I do apologize for not crediting all of the artists. I am not familiar with them, and did not find these images on sites that offer proper credit. [Edit: I tracked down 2 on deviant art, but the third is on the Russian site in the watermark, and that's as much as I know.]

Last edited:
I agree with MithLuin.

I might add that black hair and gray/blue eyes does seem to be a bit of a generic noldo look, at least to me. Just like blue eyes blonde hair is like the classica vanya look.

I think that is Fingolfin due to the emblem in the back... I don't know if Finwë has stablished colors for his house, or at least I don't remember. Any more info on the matter would be greatly appreciated. Because Fëanor's is red, Fingolfin's is blue, and Finarfin's (I think) is yellow.

Finwë fanart, to give people an idea of how some see him (obviously with fanart, this is just a starting point, and ideas can be rejected).

Finw%C3%AB.jpg

You are right! I was thrown by the lack of gold strands/braids in his hair. Sorry about that; the artist does have a portrait of Finwë as well, so I swapped that out.

He's absolutely a Noldorin prince! I had him in mind for one of the younger ones, but yeah, a good alternative here.

Here is who I *should* have suggested for Elrond, so instead I am putting him forward for Finwë, who is after all one of Elrond's ancestors (hint: *everyone* is one of Elrond's ancestors - the Silmarillion is quite literally his family history).

Enzo Cilenti
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0162281/?ref_=nv_sr_1

MV5BMzEwNDA5MjQ3NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTUyNzUzMQ@@._V1_.jpg

He's almost 42 years old, so perfect age for an older generation elf. He's 6'1" and from Yorkshire and has great presence on film. He should be able to hold his own against Fëanor (for awhile) as his father. I don't know if he's ever had a romantic lead type role, so I dunno about the whole two wives subplot, but he's disarmingly charming in interviews, so I wouldn't foresee any problem there.

(Translation: Any female who is into guys who watched 'Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell' noticed this guy, trust me.)

Here he is in 'Game of Thrones' as a slave owner with a random accent:

And here's him in a 'death' scene, as Childermass:

Out-of-character in an interview, so with his real voice:

I'm sure we could shave him to make an elf of him.

Here is who I *should* have suggested for Elrond, so instead I am putting him forward for Finwë, who is after all one of Elrond's ancestors (hint: *everyone* is one of Elrond's ancestors - the Silmarillion is quite literally his family history).

Enzo Cilenti
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0162281/?ref_=nv_sr_1

MV5BMzEwNDA5MjQ3NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTUyNzUzMQ@@._V1_.jpg

He's almost 42 years old, so perfect age for an older generation elf. He's 6'1" and from Yorkshire and has great presence on film. He should be able to hold his own against Fëanor (for awhile) as his father. I don't know if he's ever had a romantic lead type role, so I dunno about the whole two wives subplot, but he's disarmingly charming in interviews, so I wouldn't foresee any problem there.

(Translation: Any female who is into guys who watched 'Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell' noticed this guy, trust me.)

Here he is in 'Game of Thrones' as a slave owner with a random accent:

And here's him in a 'death' scene, as Childermass:

Out-of-character in an interview, so with his real voice:

I'm sure we could shave him to make an elf of him.
One of the best suggestions! For me, it's important that the actor can bring a tragic feeling to the role. I think he could. It's also nice that he isn't so well known.

One of the best suggestions! For me, it's important that the actor can bring a tragic feeling to the role. I think he could. It's also nice that he isn't so well known.

True, he's decently obscure, but Corey Olsen will know who he is, which is rather rare in this game!

Back