First Mouth of Sauron

Ange1e4e5

The Mouth of Sauron is a servant and emissary of Sauron's near the end of the Third Age, with the title Lieutenant of Barad-Dûr. Most likely a Black Numenorean, they took up service to Sauron "when the Dark Tower rose again", learning much in sorcery, and rose in favor for their cunning and cruelty.

In the context of SilmFilm the Mouth of Sauron is the high priest of Sauron's cult and the frontrunner for the main antagonist in the Harad frame. They (it could be he or she) is a high priest in the cult that worships Sauron as king and God and will be working in Harad to bring the region under Sauron's control. A suggestion for the Mouth's attire is that they have a bat element, reminiscent of Sauron's subordinate Thurwingwethil who was Sauron's foremost lieutenant when he served Morgoth.

Last edited:
Given that the Mouth of Sauron is faceless and an enigma that's forgotten their own name, we have some carte blanche with the Mouth.

An unused concept for Peter Jackson's The Lord of the Rings trilogy was to have a woman as the Mouth (in his case Kate Winslet), as a personification of the temptations Aragorn faced.

To bank off of that, I suggest Sophie Turner as a possible candidate. Her characters tend to be more of a talker than a doer, charming, often plays cold and aloof. She certainly has a diverse repertoire, ranging from noble ladies to powerful superheroes to a ruthless serial killer. Some of her costumes have a bird motif, not too far off of bats, right?

Sophie Turner
Height: 5'9"
Roles: Sansa Stark in Game of Thrones, Jean Grey in X-Men, “Josie” in Josie
b500a9aed4bc931cc31b8a2ac3788f67.jpg

Last edited:
I think that we have to consider one thing that makes me less enthusiastic about the talented Ms Turner for this role. First of all, I think that the Black Numenoreans should look like the Numenoreans of old to a high degree, which (as far as I can understand things) would mean that she should be blonde and pale skinned, just as S.T., since they were mostly descendants of the House of Hador. And I do think she could portray the character really well. But since we have talked about The Mouth being in some ways changed and corrupted by Sauron, I think that some age should show. She should be a little bit older. I'm not sure how much older though. Perhaps 36 years old, like Olivia Wilde: IMDB 1604923367800.png
Or maybe a little older, like Charlize Theron, who is 45: IMDB 1604923610482.png

The Mouth of Sauron is a servant and emissary of Sauron's near the end of the Third Age, with the title Lieutenant of Barad-Dûr. Most likely a Black Numenorean, they took up service to Sauron "when the Dark Tower rose again", learning much in sorcery, and rose in favor for their cunning and cruelty.

In the context of SilmFilm the Mouth of Sauron is the high priest of Sauron's cult and the frontrunner for the main antagonist in the Harad frame. They (it could be he or she) is a high priest in the cult that worships Sauron as king and God and will be working in Harad to bring the region under Sauron's control. A suggestion for the Mouth's attire is that they have a bat element, reminiscent of Sauron's subordinate Thurwingwethil who was Sauron's foremost lieutenant when he served Morgoth.

To clarify, the character we are casting as the antagonist for the Season 5 frame is not the same character who will appear at the Black Gate when we reach the RotK story. These will be different people with the same title.

To clarify, the character we are casting as the antagonist for the Season 5 frame is not the same character who will appear at the Black Gate when we reach the RotK story. These will be different people with the same title.
Hence why @Haakon was suggesting slightly older actresses.

I think we should take every chance to once again nominate and not choose her...

Well I’m sorry if it came out a bit harsher than intended, but she has been nominated at least three times before. I’m thinking it’s not just because there were others who people thought were better suited for the roles, but that there’s something with her that isn’t entirely compatible with these stories.

Well I’m sorry if it came out a bit harsher than intended, but she has been nominated at least three times before. I’m thinking it’s not just because there were others who people thought were better suited for the roles, but that there’s something with her that isn’t entirely compatible with these stories.
Well, most of the roles she was being nominated for were Elves. The Professor and Trish said that Ritter being an Elf doesn’t really click for them, so perhaps this could be the one.

Well, most of the roles she was being nominated for were Elves. The Professor and Trish said that Ritter being an Elf doesn’t really click for them, so perhaps this could be the one.
I think it's got more to do with her having a distinctly modern behaviour. Some actors and actresses have that quality, often urban, I've mentioned the same thing a few years ago when George Clooney came up.

Anne Hathaway? Maybe more Catwoman than Grand High Witch, though; I think the Mouth of Sauron would be more subtle at this point while the Grand High Witch is more flat-out hammy.
IMDB

cw1.jpg

69b57e0ea4868ad237d14923510aad93.jpg

Last edited:
She is a truly phenomenal actress. She often plays deeply unnerving characters. She is currently in His Dark Materials and doing a stellar job as a very morally complicated character.

I will warn this second clip is VERY SPOILER HEAVY for the show. Please do not watch if you plan on watching the show and are not caught up. I mean, I do recommend the show if you've not seen it, so maybe skip this one. But I did want to showcase some of her range:

This is her in the first episode of Luther:

Last edited by a moderator:
Not exactly of African descent, but I think she could play the role nonetheless. Acker’s voice has an odd tonal quality to it and she’s made a career out of playing alluring but strange characters.

Amy Acker
Height: 5’8”
Roles: Winifred Burkle/Illyria in Angel, Kelly Peyton in Alias, Lena Marcinko in Grimm, Samantha “Root” Groves in Person of Interest
Amy-Acker-Body-Pics-575x1024.jpg

120130mag-Grimm1.jpg

These two scenes are from the same episode.

None of the actresses mentioned above can be nominated since they don't meet the criteria. We're looking for an actress with African descent.

Back