For Isildur's Bane shall waken,

Rauþúlfr

It is always an iffy prospect to think of the ring as having intent, but does something change once it is produced at the council? . We know that the Ring Wraiths were attracted to it before, but does become something more of a wifi hot spot (as it were)? Not as an active thing, but being more significant to those who might be enticed by it. OTOH, perhaps it is not the Ring itself which awakes, but rather a certain openness to the seduction by the Ring which awakes? Is this when the idea of the ring is set as an ember in the back of Boromir's mind?

I like your thoughts; however, I don’t think the ring was an “ember in the back of Boromir’s mind.” I have always felt that, once Boromir saw the ring, it was on the forefront of his mind. Trivial, I know!

DMae, it's not a trivial point. It might be that he was just seriously resisting the thought at first, and slowly succumbed to the temptation when Amon Hen sort of created a pocket where Sauron's "area effect" was magnified. (Fortunately for us it also created a pocket that magnified Gandalf's "area effect" and he got Frodo to "take it off!"

Back