Haakon

Administrator
Staff member
Last edited:

MithLuin

Administrator
Staff member
Hmmm.

Neldoreth (the birthplace of Lúthien and the first forest of Beleriand we see in Season 3) is a beech forest. Region (the forest surrounding Menegroth) is a holly forest.

Sherwood forest contains oaks and birches (and no doubt other trees, such as elm), but is not famous for either beeches or holly. So, I'd hesitate to associate it with either of those two. On the other hand...Sherwood is certainly a great example of an OLD growth forest, and we want something like that for the quintessential elven woods of Middle-earth.

So...I think that takes us to central Europe. There are some impressive beech trees in Wales, to be fair. But Germany and Slovenia are probably more what we're thinking for old growth beech forest.

Here's a list of the largest/oldest beech trees:
https://www.monumentaltrees.com/en/trees/europeanbeech/records/

German beech forest:

Jasmund National Park (Germany):

Beech wood in Wales:

And down under, in New South Wales:

English Holly Tree:

And for Region, we have: The Réserve Biologique Intégrale de la Sainte-Baume in France. It was the only reference I could find to an old-growth forest that contains Ilex (holly). As a bonus, this forest also has beech and linden, *and* a famous stone grotto. Seems to fit Region rather decently!

One could ask the question of whether Tolkien meant 'holly' or 'holm oak' when he wrote about Region (and later Eregion) having holly trees. Unless someone has a good argument for holm oak (quercus ilex) I'm going to stick with holly (ilex aquifolium). And, you know, there *is* another old growth forest that contains both (American) beech and American holly (ilex opaca) trees - the New Jersey pine barrens. Let's...not use that one! Rather, we should probably stick to the Forest of Saint Baume in Provence, France.

Don't get me wrong - I love birch trees, and we better have some somewhere on our show! Perhaps one of the more northerly forests, around Hithlum? But I think that Doriath is just too far south for birch, unfortunately.

Haakon

Administrator
Staff member
Don't get me wrong - I love birch trees, and we better have some somewhere on our show! Perhaps one of the more northerly forests, around Hithlum? But I think that Doriath is just too far south for birch, unfortunately.
Birch isn't necessarily a northern tree, even if the northern temperate zone is where it's most common. I don't believe it grows in Doriath, but in Nimbrethil. in Arvernien.

MithLuin

Administrator
Staff member
Right. . .it just needs to be somewhere with harsh enough winters to kill off the bug pests that plague it. You can grow birches much further south if you're willing to spray for bugs.

The forest of Brethil makes sense. After all, that's outside the protection of Doriath, so likely has a slightly harsher climate.

Haakon

Administrator
Staff member
I would also like to remind everyone that there is a special thread on Doriath, that includes Region and other regions.