Frame narrative: Bilbo

Haakon

Administrator
Staff member
Just wanted to mention an elephant in the room: Since we are going to see Bilbo passing Rivendell in the fram narrative, we need to think about casting alternatives for Bilbo, Thorin, Balin, Dwalin, Oin, Gloin, Bifur, Bofur... Well, maybe not, we will probably just have to cast Bilbo.
So.
This is a Major Decision.
Now according to the creative process so far this decision comes after we have been through talking about the episode and what we want from the actors. But I think we might need some time before the actual decision and dig up all the alternatives we can think of.
Personally I tend to think that this could be a task for Eddie Redmayne, but there must be lots of favourites out there. What do you say?

Last edited:
I am going to be a bit of a sinner here, but I don't believe anyone could play Bilbo better than Martin Freeman, as for ther dwarves... well, that is another matter

I'm kind of starting to think Eddie Redmayne isn't the best choice. He has a slightly dark voice, doesn't he?

Well, the execs didn't say anything about the requirements for this casting. - Perhaps they'll return to it next session.

Did this ever get cast? If not I'd like to throw an aged up Eddie Marsan into the mix? Or possibly David Jason

Eddie Marsan.

THE character actor. He's been in everything. Filth, Guy Ritchie's Sherlock Holmes, The World's End, Ray Donavan and the excellent Jonathan Strange and Mr Norell (where I first really came across him)

1609940662358.png 1609940675750.png

David Jason.

He's Derek 'Del-Boy' Trotter. That should be enough.
1609940786370.png 1609940797841.png 1609940811179.png

Last edited by a moderator:
We cast James McAvoy as Bilbo (see our Cast So Far thread), and we haven’t progressed to an elderly Bilbo quite yet (the Frame for Season 5 is about 10 years after The Hobbit). An elderly Bilbo is not however out of the equation.

Oh I'm sad about James McAvoy. He seems to be in everything lol That said he is very good.

Thank you for the link to Cast So Far! I was trying to find that!

Back