Frodo’s healing – as in Rivendell, so, magnified, later, in Valinor

Flammifer

Frodo’s healing in Rivendell, pre-figures, and resembles (in, perhaps, a lesser effect), the healing we assume he will later experience in Elvenhome.

In Rivendell, he is healed from the Morgul Blade shard by Elrond, and healed, through enchantment of song in the Hall of Fire (at least for a while), from some of the detrimental effects from being a Ring-bearer (especially Ring-lust).

To riff off Bilbo’s riddle to Gollum, about sun on the daisies, we might say:

A song in Valinor
Heard a song in Rivendell.
“That song is like to this song”
Said the first song,
“But in low place,
Not in high place.”

Not surprising that Rivendell can emulate the healing of Valinor. After all, in Rivendell are those who’s feet, in ancient times, walked upon Valinor’s mountains green*.

Of course, we don’t know what happens to Frodo after he reaches “the far green country under a swift sunrise” (though we do know that he hears the sound of singing, coming over the water, which should recall the Hall of Fire).

Frodo’s experience of healing in Rivendell, is perhaps the best evidence we have of what is likely to happen to Frodo in Valinor.

* A paraphrase from Blake's "Milton" and, of course, from the great Church of England hymn, "Jerusalem", which, by the way, also has certain similarities with Bilbo's poem about Earendil. Note the arming sequence in the third verse, and the determined quest in the fourth verse:

Bring me my bow of burning gold:
Bring me my arrows of desire:
Bring me my spear: O clouds unfold:
Bring me my chariot of fire!

I will not cease from Mental Fight,
Nor shall my sword sleep in my hand:
Till we have built Jerusalem,
In Englands green and pleasant land.

Last edited:
Back