Frodo not thinking clearly about The Gaffer and the Sackville-Baggins

Fin

Just quick question about what I feel is a major fail on Frodo's part regarding the Sackville-Baggins and The Gaffer. One would think Frodo being a more then typical Hobbit of the Shire would have thought about what would happen to the Gaffer should he sell his beloved Bag End to the Sackville-Baggins, (especaily to the Sackville-Baggins). I realize, if I put my self in Frodo's shoes that I have a great many things on my mind, The Ring not the least, that I would tend to forget about certain things. That not withstanding, I would think he would have given thought to The Gaffer and made arrangements for him prior to the sale of Bag End. Something to the effect of "with the sale of this property let it be known that the residents of Bagshot Row though not being the owners of said property, shall remain residents of said property until they wish to leave". Kinda think Frodo should have made some kind of stipulation in the sale of Bag End. Just for the protection of The Hobbits on the Row. I have no idea if this was ever brought up to Professor Tolkien, But I would think he would have a answer.

Good point, Fin.

I could imagine that Frodo did include such a provision for the Bagshot Row residents, which the Sackville-Baggins then violated, and bribed or bullied whatever official was in charge of enforcing the articles of the sale into looking the other way. This scenario seems plausible to me, but I acknowledge it's purely speculative.

I can also imagine there being no socially acceptable solution here. Sucks but happens. Like, if Frodo keeled over dead rather than left town, it would be too bad but it might go tough for the Gaffer. And he knows it.

ETA: It's a given that only socially acceptable solutions are worthy of consideration. I mean, Frodo doesn't need or care about the money - the only thing keeping him from just handing the keys to Bag End to the Gaffer himself is the social repercussion

Well, his cover story is that he was running out of money, but I'm sure he and Gandalf together could have dreamed up another cover story if he'd committed to giving the Gaffer Bag End.

I wonder if he could have just "sold" Bagshot Row to the 4 families that lived there? of course for a token fee, like a bag of potatoes and a chicken or 2. But Hobbits being Hobbits the price of the sale would probably get around soon enough, though if all was done with all the proper signatures and witnesses, then maybe the Sackville-Baggins would not be able to have done anything.

Back