Frodo's blade back on Weathertop

Indilwen

Here's another question for Prof. Corey (or whoever can answer it):

On Weathertop when Frodo puts on the ring, his sword, Sting, begins to glow with red flames. Why? I thought it glowed blue, and then only when orcs were nearby. Or does it glow with red fire in the wraith-world all the time, while only occasionally glowing blue in "the real world?" And, btw, wasn't Sting forged in Gondolin by the elves rather than by the Numenorians? Or am I misremembering an important piece of Middle Earth lore?

( Slowly catching up to you folk. I'm on #78 now. Fewer than 100 to go!)

Last edited:
That wasn't Sting; it was a Barrow-blade like the ones the other hobbits got. It broke during the attack, and Bilbo gave Sting as a replacement.

‘Here is your sword,’ he said. ‘But it was broken, you know. I took it to keep it safe but I’ve forgotten to ask if the smiths could mend it. No time now. So I thought, perhaps, you would care to have this, don’t you know?’

He took from the box a small sword in an old shabby leathern scabbard. Then he drew it, and its polished and well-tended blade glittered suddenly, cold and bright. ‘This is Sting,’ he said, and thrust it with little effort deep into a wooden beam. ‘Take it, if you like. I shan’t want it again, I expect.’

Back