Frodo's suitable chair

dietlbomb

Perhaps Frodo's chair was a chair designed for dwarves. Presumably dwarves visit Rivendell more frequently than hobbits, so it would be polite of Elrond to have dwarf chairs available. Hobbits are shorter than dwarves, however, so Frodo would need the cushions as an additional boost.

Perhaps Frodo's chair was a chair designed for dwarves. Presumably dwarves visit Rivendell more frequently than hobbits, so it would be polite of Elrond to have dwarf chairs available. Hobbits are shorter than dwarves, however, so Frodo would need the cushions as an additional boost.
Excellent theory, but since Bilbo has been living in Rivendell, presumably for many years now, the Elves should have plenty of experience with how to seat a hobbit, and of what kind of chair is suitable. They've had plenty of time to make some good hobbit-chairs and I think they would likely have done so, as a courtesy to Bilbo.

I think the cushions are a compromise between having the chair low enough for short hobbit legs, and tall enough to let him reach an Elvish table. I just can't see Elves building a chair with a height-adjustment lever on the side, like we would. . .

Back