Future study of Tolkien's books

Tony Meade

In light of the announcement of a new Tolkien book, the first of the post-CJRT era, I was wondering if there were plans to continue our pattern of studying a Tolkien book every other series beyond finishing the HOME series.

For instance, we could do the later Middle-earth books, such as The Children of Hurin, and the non-Middle-earth material, such as his Beowulf and other writings. We could even do something with his non-fiction, such as the Letters.

Just curious to see what we all had to say on that subject.

Hello, my first post here.

Yes, i agree. I hope the tradition with every other book is continued.

As a person who have listened to/through all the three pods (sil-film, exploring LOTR and the Mythgard-courses) i find it so satisfying. To me Morgoth's Ring was the highlight this far, but i love them all.

I suspect it will depend on how much new material is present in this and subsequent texts. If most of The Nature of Middle Earth has been published (and thus, probably discussed) before, then it may not seem especially fruitful to continue.

That said, perhaps devoting more time to specific material and lines of inquiry would be interesting. And Tolkien does poll very well here.

I suspect it will depend on how much new material is present in this and subsequent texts. If most of The Nature of Middle Earth has been published (and thus, probably discussed) before, then it may not seem especially fruitful to continue.

That said, perhaps devoting more time to specific material and lines of inquiry would be interesting. And Tolkien does poll very well here.

But there's also all the non-Middle-earth stuff, like the children's literature, short stories, and academic works, like Beowulf and The Fall of Arthur. So, there's plenty of Tolkien material that doesn't retread the same ground.

Hey,

I've said this in other threads, but my number one hope is that we take on The Tolkien Reader, or Tales from the Perilous Realm, to include tons of Tolkien's shorter works that we've never formally done in Mythgard Academy - Niggle, Farmer Giles, On Fairy Stories, and SO. MANY. POEMS. Mostly, though, I want to do Niggle, which is my favorite shorter Tolkien. So if we just did a 2-3 week series on that I'd be happy.

I also hope we sometime take on some of Tolkien's translation work. That would cross the streams of our studies of Tolkien and the classes we've done on medieval lit. His translation of Gawain, along with Sir Orfeo and the Pearl, is readily available. Gawain would cross with our Malory study earlier. His Beowulf translation would be another great study - I don't have that, does it include his Monsters and the Critics paper? I've never read that but should.

Fall of Arthur would also be good, again crossing our Tolkien and Arthur streams.

I'm not sure this is the right place to bring it up, but the 'next book' listing on the Mythgard Academy home page is still War of the Jewels - and I thought it was going to be The Nature of Middle-earth.

I'm not sure this is the right place to bring it up, but the 'next book' listing on the Mythgard Academy home page is still War of the Jewels - and I thought it was going to be The Nature of Middle-earth.
I was wondering that, too. My copy of The Nature of Middle-Earth should be here tomorrow, but I haven't seen official announcement of when it will begin.
I haven't been doing the current course because it didn't fit my summer schedule - but I checked the announcements section in the latest Twitch stream and it sounds like we'll be doing that text on Sept. 22 (an auspicious day!)

Yes, just writing to confirm for those who weren't in the Moon is a Harsh Mistress class that ended last week. Mythgard was off this week (yesterday the 15th) and next week we start The Nature of Middle Earth on Wednesday the 22nd (Bilbo and Frodo's joint birthday). See you in class.

Bruce

Back