Galadriel

Marielle

If we're not going for PJ's casting (and I vote we don't), I nominate Diane Kruger for Galadriel. She's 40, so if we cast a young-ish actress as Arwen, she won't look like her peer, but she's hardly old. She's been cast as Helen of Troy (even if that movie was.... unsatisfactory), and she looks like an elf queen to me: strong features and light eyes.
MV5BMTAzMTQ0NDk0MDVeQTJeQWpwZ15BbWU4MDQwMTA1MDIx._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,666,1000_AL_.jpg
MV5BMjMzMTMxOTE5Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzcwNjM4Nw@@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,1465,1000_AL_.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, Diane Kruger is absolutely a good candidate. We want someone who is powerful and passionate, at times fiery and intense but in later Ages increasingly careful and wise. She's apparently blonde, and beautiful.

I was thinking perhaps Charlize Theron would be good. She's obviously a really good actress.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000234/

Ange, Rosamund Pike was someone else I considered. My only worry is she might look too "sweet" for the role. Even as a warrior princess-type character, she doesn't have that "obey me" factor I think Galadriel should have,.
rosamund-pike-andromeda-wallpaper-3.jpg

For other female elves, there would be Galadriel's mother Earwen, Finwë's 2nd wife Indis, and Galadriel's dark-haired cousin Aredhel. Can you see her as any of those?

For other female elves, there would be Galadriel's mother Earwen, Finwë's 2nd wife Indis, and Galadriel's dark-haired cousin Aredhel. Can you see her as any of those?
What do we really know about Earwen and Indis characterwise? I guess they have to be given a suiting personality to the story and so on. If so, there's always possibilities. Aredhel is a very interesting character. The dark hair though.

What about Idril?

I suspect we won't cast children, except for the most prominent ones.

Sorry, but could we keep to Galadriel here?

Yes, Idril will be a child in Season 3 (when she crosses the Helcaraxe), so we can save the casting of Adult!Idril until later. Sorry to derail the Galadriel thread with that!

Speaking of casting children (or younger adults) for the more prominent roles, what about Emma Roberts as teenage Galadriel? This is almost purely based off of looks, mind.
rs_634x872-150921110226-634-emma-roberts-emmy-accessories-092115.jpg Emma-Roberts.jpg

Speaking of casting children (or younger adults) for the more prominent roles, what about Emma Roberts as teenage Galadriel? This is almost purely based off of looks, mind.
View attachment 530 View attachment 529
I agree we probably need a teenage/young adult Galadriel, if only briefly to show her beating her cousins at racing and all the other "mannish" things she does (hard to see an adult G. racing), but I'm not sold on Emma Roberts. Maybe because she doesn't look like a young Diane Kruger to me ;)

I agree we probably need a teenage/young adult Galadriel, if only briefly to show her beating her cousins at racing and all the other "mannish" things she does (hard to see an adult G. racing), but I'm not sold on Emma Roberts. Maybe because she doesn't look like a young Diane Kruger to me ;)

Actually I had the crossing of the Helcaraxë in mind, as the hosts mentioned. But by implication this would mean we'd need the same young actress for the "No, Fëanor, you can't have my hair" scene which is before the crossing, so there's that too. I am fairly partial towards a Diane Kruger Galadriel, though, so I see where you're coming from. I think with hair and makeup it wouldn't be too obscene a difference but I figured I'd at least put Emma on the table.

Actually I had the crossing of the Helcaraxë in mind, as the hosts mentioned. But by implication this would mean we'd need the same young actress for the "No, Fëanor, you can't have my hair" scene which is before the crossing, so there's that too. I am fairly partial towards a Diane Kruger Galadriel, though, so I see where you're coming from. I think with hair and makeup it wouldn't be too obscene a difference but I figured I'd at least put Emma on the table.
I had forgotten we would still want "young" Galadriel for that! Thanks for beginning the hunt for the younger Galadriel. Emma isn't a bad start. You're right, makeup and hair could go a long way. I've not seen American Horror Story or anything else she was in recently (just the Nancy Drew film in 2007 which... was not good). Can anyone comment on her acting chops?

Hmm... Are we thinking two actresses? I'd suggest we stick to one, as we have been discussing in other threads.

Last edited:
I'm thinking Elizabeth Debicki could pull off both younger and older Galadriel. We wouldn't get teenage Galadriel as in someone who looks like a human teenager, but I think we should avoid casting two different actors as one elf. Debicki is tall, 6' 1 1/2", which is good.
images
upload_2016-9-2_9-10-57.jpegupload_2016-9-2_9-13-15.jpeg

Back