Galdor the Tall

Ange1e4e5

Galdor the Tall (to differentiate him from Galdor of Gondolin/of the Havens) is a member of the House of Hador, the elder son and heir of Hador Goldenhead. His spouse is Hareth of Brethil and he is the father of Húrin and Huor, making him grandfather to Túrin, Urwen and Nienor.

What does he do? In SilmFilm, Hador dies of old age so Galdor is the Lord of Dor-Lómin at the Dagor Bragollach where his brother Gundor is KIA. Galdor's sons Húrin and Huor are fostered with Haldir of Brethil. When they return to Dor-Lómin after a year in Gondolin, Galdor is still around, guessing that the two have been to Gondolin since they cannot tell him of where they went after being separated from Haldir during a skirmish in Brethil. In F.A. 462, Morgoth sends a force of Orcs against Hithlum and Galdor is KIA at Barad Eithel, leading Húrin to take the lordship of Dor-Lómin.

What would he look like? As a member of the House of Hador Galdor would be blond, and as the Tall he'd be probably at least 6 feet, likely in his mid-forties by the Dagor Bragollach.

Last edited:
This may be a bit overcast, but maybe what we're looking for?

Copied from my post on the Men (as in Humans)

Nikolaj Coster-Waldau
Height: 6’2”
Roles: Jaime Lannister in Game of Thrones, Master Sgt. Gary Gordon in Black Hawk Down, Horus in Gods of Egypt

Nikolaj-Coster-Waldau.jpg

8e08e81da8c87a7cfa02a8c402047867.jpg

This may be a bit overcast,
I think this is something we should discuss seriously. On the one hand, casting a not so well known actor for a small role seems like the logical choice, but on the other hand, casting a star means we don't have to spend as much time on establishing the character, the actor brings a lot of feelings and ideas with him just by showing up and reminding us of stuff he's done before, plus, people understand that this is a person of some importance and they won't ignore the character too easily.

I think this is something we should discuss seriously. On the one hand, casting a not so well known actor for a small role seems like the logical choice, but on the other hand, casting a star means we don't have to spend as much time on establishing the character, the actor brings a lot of feelings and ideas with him just by showing up and reminding us of stuff he's done before, plus, people understand that this is a person of some importance and they won't ignore the character too easily.
I remember something of this discussion in the Season 2 Casting episode where the Hosts were definitely worried about overcasting; that is they didn't want to cast someone too famous for what amounted to a supporting role. In that case it was Christian Bale as Draugluin. Do we have a similar scenario on our hands this time around?

I remember something of this discussion in the Season 2 Casting episode where the Hosts were definitely worried about overcasting; that is they didn't want to cast someone too famous for what amounted to a supporting role. In that case it was Christian Bale as Draugluin. Do we have a similar scenario on our hands this time around?
Well I agree that overcasting is a danger we should be worried about, but I think it has to do more with the magnitude of the character than the character's screen time. Draugluin is a beast character that is more or less just a voice job. Sure, we can imagine some cgi work in the process, but that's a small part of it. Casting Christian Bale as Draugluin would be a waste. We would want to see him really act, with his full instrument at his disposal. In this case, and when it comes to a number of the Men characters, the magnitude or importance of the character isn't the thing, and it will be possible for the actor to "shine" and do some great stuff, but it will be for a limited amount of time. I want us to consider this, and I would like the execs to put some thought into the matter. In the end, perhaps we still want to cast lesser known people for these roles, because, otherwise, we will run out of great actors for the big parts. But on the other hand...don't we want some stars for these early Men? Don't we want them to have an aura of Great Legends? Personally, I think we should mix it, and the execs should choose which roles we should give to stars (It won't be possible at all times because of casting criteria anyway).

Back