Gandalf and the sliver of morgul blade

NancyL

Before the morgul blade faded away, the group noticed there was a sliver missing. And yet, to Frodo, Gandalf makes a fairly big deal about the fact that HE "always suspected that there was a sliver still in the wound." Why him? It's not like Aragorn and/or Sam wouldn't have mentioned the same thing. Or is it an Elrond didn't think it was there but I DID kind of thing?

The group noticed a notch missing, but as you say, the blade melted away. I don't think they would have had any reason to think that whatever bit was missing didn't do the same. In fact, between Weathertop and Rivendell we have an exchange between Sam and Aragorn:

‘What is the matter with my master?’ asked Sam in a low voice, looking appealingly at Strider. ‘His wound was small, and it is already closed. There’s nothing to be seen but a cold white mark on his shoulder.’
‘Frodo has been touched by the weapons of the Enemy,’ said Strider, ‘and there is some poison or evil at work that is beyond my skill to drive out.

Sam, at least, doesn't appear to have considered that a shard could still be causing trouble, and even Aragorn seems to not know the exact nature of the malady.

Also, I don't think Gandalf is implying that Elrond didn't think there was a splinter left. If he's contrasting with anyone in particular, I'm guessing it's with the other hobbits who were hopeful because of Elrond's reputation.

Back